Tsunami Advisory for Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MeiLing

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Due to a 7.9 magnitude quake in Peru today, we are now under a Tsunami advisory. Don't pack away those disaster supplies just yet!:no

The Advisory has been cancelled!

Yeah! Hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis! Was beginning to feel like Armageddon was coming!:D

well, I just heard CNN is sayin g they picked up a wave on a bouy and we should be warned that if it was going to hit it would be 2 am.

CNN...at 1910 or so

from http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/messages/hawaii/2007/hawaii.2007.08.16.021055.txt

TSUNAMI MESSAGE NUMBER 4
NWS PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER EWA BEACH HI
412 PM HST WED AUG 15 2007

TO - CIVIL DEFENSE IN THE STATE OF HAWAII

SUBJECT - FINAL TSUNAMI ADVISORY

THE TSUNAMI ADVISORY IS ENDED FOR THE STATE OF HAWAII EFFECTIVE
AT 0410 PM HST.

AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS

ORIGIN TIME - 0141 PM HST 15 AUG 2007
COORDINATES - 13.5 SOUTH 76.7 WEST
LOCATION - NEAR COAST OF PERU
MAGNITUDE - 7.9 MOMENT
MAGNITUDE - 7.8 RICHTER (MS)

EVALUATION

THE PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER HAS CANCELLED THE REGIONAL
TSUNAMI WARNING AND WATCH IT ISSUED FOR OTHER PARTS OF THE
PACIFIC. BASED ON ALL AVAILABLE DATA THERE IS NO DESTRUCTIVE
TSUNAMI THREAT TO HAWAII AND THE ADVISORY FOR HAWAII IS ALSO
ENDED.

HOWEVER... SOME COASTAL AREAS IN HAWAII COULD EXPERIENCE SMALL
NON-DESTRUCTIVE SEA LEVEL CHANGES AND STRONG OR UNUSUAL CURRENTS
LASTING UP TO SEVERAL HOURS. THE ESTIMATED TIME SUCH EFFECTS
MIGHT BEGIN IS

0214 AM HST THU 16 AUG 2007

THIS WILL BE THE FINAL MESSAGE ISSUED FOR THIS EVENT UNLESS
ADDITIONAL DATA ARE RECEIVED.

Note second to last paragraph. We shouldn't experience any "tsunami" per se, but may have some "non-destructive" sea level changes, etc.

haha... I'm still not sure I'd want to have a boat parked at a marina during that -- I recall hearing about the seas changing by a few feet in the October earthquake... there was some damage to vessels in Maalaea Harbour.

KrisB:
haha... I'm still not sure I'd want to have a boat parked at a marina during that -- I recall hearing about the seas changing by a few feet in the October earthquake... there was some damage to vessels in Maalaea Harbour.
I think it depends on the harbor also. Keehi, where my boat is at, is an inland harbor. The inundation zone doesn't extend to even to the shore on my pier. During a full blown tsunami, I wouldn't leave my boat there. However, for the little waves we've had in the past few years, nobody here has had any damage.

In addition, the topography of the ocean floor at Maalaea may also come into to play. Isn't there a surf break there where the waves can get pretty big? I'm not an oceanographer, but I'd venture to say that may have something to do with it.

Keehi is a scuzzy, state run harbor, but one of biggest perks is that there is a big inland harbor you can spend a pretty good afternoon cruising around when it is lumpy out in Mamala Bay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom