safety concern with wearing more than one suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sem824

Registered
Reaction score
are there any safety concerns with wearing more than one wet suit? for example wearing a shory or 3/4 or thin full under a 3MM farmer john?

if it were too tight, might circulation be a concern? has anyone had any problems wearing more than one suit?

I've had no problems wearing 2 suits. They may feel uncomfortable at first, but will readjust a little once in the water, just like any suit. Try putting the shorty on first.

There are two issues that come to mind:
  1. fit ... a suit (or set of suits) that is too tight can exhaust the muscles that you breathe with in fairly short order and
  2. buoyancy ... the more rubber the more change in buoyancy with respect to depth, especially in the shallow ranges.

It's done all of the time...just the fit and weighting issues. Remember, many two piece suits are not much different than described.

Some materials don't like being against each other and will stick... if that is an issue, you will know when you try to move in it..

No problem at all as long as they both fit correctly. Then go for it. You will need more weight to compensate for the additional bouyancy of course.
However, if they do not fit properly and the top suit is too tight, this can restrict your breathing which can cause a problem. So just make sure they fit correctly. If one piece has more room or stretch than the other put that piece on top and you should be good to go.

When it gets cold in Florida, I wear two suits. Even then, I don't need a weight belt with a backplate and steel tank.

sorry, replied in wrong thread

Thalassamania:
Get a Mk 107 Mod 0 Hydrographic Mapping Unit (HMU), what SEALS now use as their standalone navigation aid instead of the familiar tactical board. It has a fluxgate digital compass to navigate underwater accurately as well as sonar for finding obstructions and can record images of underwater objects. It was developed by the Applied Research Laboratories of the University of Texas at Austin and is built by Teledyne RD Instruments in San Diego who continues development of a commercial Map-Tac navigator for other users.

Uhhhh... What.. :popcorn:

sem824:
are there any safety concerns with wearing more than one wet suit? for example wearing a shorty or 3/4 or thin full under a 3MM farmer john?

if it were too tight, might circulation be a concern? has anyone had any problems wearing more than one suit?

Every time I dive from New England to Pennsylvania I am wearing two suits. I have a WetWear custom 5 mm jump suit (Rubatex neoprene equivalent to 7 mm) with a 5 mm shorty over the top.

Fit is the key and this setup fits perfectly.

I adjust the weighting in the same manner you would for any exposure suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom