10W HID Flashlight No Longer Available?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ltstanfo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This past week I placed an order with my LDS (authorized Dive Rite dealer) to obtain one of those nice 10W HID flashlights. Yesterday (Friday) I was told that they are no longer available?????? Why???

He was informed that one of the LED versions was being substituted but I've seen one of those and there is no way (IMO) that it is comparable to a 10W HID. If I recall correctly the HID delivered approximately 500 lumens but the LED version is around 300 lumens?

Could someone from Dive Rite please tell my why the HID version was removed from the product line?

Thank you,
Ltstanfo

Ltstanfo:
This past week I placed an order with my LDS (authorized Dive Rite dealer) to obtain one of those nice 10W HID flashlights. Yesterday (Friday) I was told that they are no longer available?????? Why???

He was informed that one of the LED versions was being substituted but I've seen one of those and there is no way (IMO) that it is comparable to a 10W HID. If I recall correctly the HID delivered approximately 500 lumens but the LED version is around 300 lumens?

Could someone from Dive Rite please tell my why the HID version was removed from the product line?

Thank you,
Ltstanfo

HID technology is definately on the way out... LED technology is much more durable and there are definately bright LEDs out there.. Check out Oxycheq.. they sell the solus LED lights that are available with oputputs up to about 2500 lumen..

the solus 1250 is incredible.. its a bit pricey $1750 but its comparible to a 35w HID, the solus 500 is comparible to a 21w HID ($1250).. The small backup light ($225) is pretty close to a 10w HID

Don't count the LED lights as suitable for prime time yet. Yep, they are bright. But, they operate at wave lengths that don't penetrate very well.
So, if your goal is to be seen; buy LED.
If your goal is to have a battery efficient backup light for gauges and gear; buy LED. If your goal is to have a light you can use to see at any distance at all then buy HID. Or, even a Xenon light will do better than a LED for the user seeing things.

ArcticDiver:
Don't count the LED lights as suitable for prime time yet. Yep, they are bright. But, they operate at wave lengths that don't penetrate very well.
So, if your goal is to be seen;

I saw this and was wondering what wavelengths you're talking about ?

The LEDs used in the SOLUS lights produce light across the same part of the visible spectrum as HID lamps. They just don't produce all the UltraViolet and Near InfraRed that HIDs pump out.

If you're refering to this UV/IR light then sorry but that's not really visible to normal humans. The water absorbs all of the UV and IR light very quickly so it's not particularly useful for penetration even if you are superhuman/DIR.:)

LEDs don't produce light in never before seen parts of the spectrum and they aren't rated using magical elf lumens.
Six months ago LED technology was slightly behind HID in terms of raw light output. Today (hence the Gen2 models from SOLUS) LED technology has passed HID on raw output (Lumens/Watt).

If your goal is to see - buy SSP. (Cheesy yes, but it rhymes)

KevJ

I still have a few of the 10 watt HID diverite lights in stock. If I can help you with one let me know.

Brent

Wavelenths? Sure. I first remember being introduced to that in High School. Like with RF some wave lenths "penetrate" better than others.

LEDs are bright? Being bright is different that producing enough useful light to use to see an object at a distance. In other words: They work great as taillights but are lousy as headlights.

HID's are fragile:: Well, since I don't design the mountings all I can say is that my DiveRite HID cannister has had some pretty hard bumps and is still going strong. It also seems to work just fine as either an underwater light, or as a surface flashlight. They are expensive; but properly housed not fragile.

I've often put out the challenge for someone to show me a LED light that throws a beam of light as well as an HID. So far no one has. I've had a couple manufacturers make the claim. But, they have been unable to produce. It is the old Headlight vs. Taillight thingy again. Or, Brightness is different than Illumination.

KVdiver,

Thank you very much for your answer. I appreciate it when an equipment manufacturer speaks directly to the consumer. I stopped by my LDS today and was informed that the Dive Rite order was supposed to arrive as early as tomorrow (no later than Thursday). I will take a good look at the light before making any final decision.

I admit to being somewhat biased against LED lights (at this point). I've seen the (very nice) Green Force lights but from personal experience I don't think they offer the "distance illumination" that HID offers... at this time. I know that HID has the reputation of being somewhat fragile compared to halogen or LED but was this design / mounting especially shock sensitive (compared to say the MR11 10w HID)? My plan is to use this as a backup light for wreck diving, mounted on the TransPlate / Basic Harness in DIR configuration.

Will Dive Rite continue to support the HID lights they have sold (ie spare bulbs, etc...)?

To everyone else... thank you for your opinions. In the end, as with most other scuba gear, it comes down to personal preference / experience. I may indeed be asking if anyone has an HID to sell. I'll post again once the order arrives.

Regards,
Ltstanfo

As an aside; the last time I sent in my DR 10Watt HID for rebuild (been like 3 times now - only once my fault, but I've had to pay for different cords, etc), they put in in a new 4 degree bulb or something, that worked as a super narrow beam spotlight. They said the older wider bulb wasn't available. While I'm sure the cavers like the long narrow spot, it's almost useless for normal diving. Luckily, my friend had a spare bulb and he wanted the spot version so we swapped.

I can't say I think this light is very bullet proof. Not just the bulb, but the cord, etc.

Just my .02.

Jack

ArcticDiver:
They work great as taillights but are lousy as headlights.

Haven't seen the Audi R8 yet, have you?

It is going the way of LED... we are at the crossover point.HID may still have a slight edge - but it is a small one, and only in one area. (penetration) though some would argue that this is the most deisred area to have an advantage. As stated, though, the latest generation of LEDs pretty much are going to level the play field..

BTW - I'm currently using an 12w HID (darkbuster Junior) and also a Green Force LED backup. I have dived with the greenforce backup alone and find it's 3w LED to be quite good. I actually prefer the light the LED's throw out - but I do think this is personal preference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom