Utila Dive Schools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDBlackburn

Reaction score
My name is Geoffrey. I was hoping some of you guys might help me out. I am trying to get to Utila so I can become a Dive Instructor. I am not a diver now, but would like to take the course up to instructor. If you guys could answer some questions for me I would be in your debt.

First let me give you some background on my situation, please bare with me. I am currently living in Cancun. I am from the U.S. but am traveling, and supporting myself with jobs i get along the way. I have been saving to come down and take the course, one because I LOVE being under the sea and two so I'll have a good job. The work and visa have run out here so I need to leave. I currently have about 600 dollars US less travel to Utila, food, etc.

Ok with that said, and what a mouthfull it was, my questions are these:
1. Are there opportunities for jobs? Hotel staff, waiter, Etc.
2. What is the story with housing? Cost?
3. Are there work study programs? Apprenticeship
4. How about travel from Mexico to Utila?
5. Any sage advise from someone who has been there?

I know this is much to ask. I am utilizing other sourse to answer some of these question, howerver I like to get as many opinoins as I can. If you would perfer to email me my address is vykkdraygo1@hotmail.com. Thank you!

Welcome to the board GDBlackburn.

It almost sounds like you are a young adventurer and I really like that .

You seemed to be puting up a tall order and maybe you need to slow down a bit and maybe start crawl then you can run.

There are many here who can give you lots of information who have sorta bin there done that. One of the top of my head is Drew sailbum. you can click on the link below and that will bring up his profile and you can send him a private message and he will no doubt be able to help you out more.

http://www.scubaboard.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=2087

He is doing what you want to do but in the Cayman Islands and he has moved a bit so he should know the ropes pretty good.

Personally I think if you are not a diver yet, your best bet might be to go back to the states and get your certifcation and work your way up to an instructor and when you can accomplish that then that will be your best way of finding work in the tropics. That will also give you a chance to save some money so you are better prepared when you are ready to make the big move, good luck and God Bless you on your big adventure .:)

Hi Geoffrey,

By being in Cancun you are half way but with $600 it will be difficlt to get around with because it is going to cost you from open water (OW) to instructor (OWSI) at least $3500. Also there must be a 6 month time period between your OW certification and before you start your IDC (instructor development course) it will be difficult to earn that amound of money with just a barjob.

You have to be realistic about this housing is cheap and there are always little jobs around in bars, restaurants and some times diveshops. The good thing is you will be in Paradise.

Travel over land to La ceiba in Honduras and from there take the ferry, also be aware the you will have to pay immigration a fee to exstend your visa every 30 days. While coming onto the island look around in all the dive shops and make up your mind where to get certifide go to a place where you feel comfortable. It doesn't mean if you start at one shop that you have to do all your courses at that shop, remember you are the student that is paying for it finacially and experiance wise.

Good luck
Okidoki

GDBlackburn:
My name is Geoffrey. I was hoping some of you guys might help me out. I am trying to get to Utila so I can become a Dive Instructor. I am not a diver now, but would like to take the course up to instructor. If you guys could answer some questions for me I would be in your debt.

First let me give you some background on my situation, please bare with me. I am currently living in Cancun. I am from the U.S. but am traveling, and supporting myself with jobs i get along the way. I have been saving to come down and take the course, one because I LOVE being under the sea and two so I'll have a good job. The work and visa have run out here so I need to leave. I currently have about 600 dollars US less travel to Utila, food, etc.

Ok with that said, and what a mouthfull it was, my questions are these:
1. Are there opportunities for jobs? Hotel staff, waiter, Etc.
2. What is the story with housing? Cost?
3. Are there work study programs? Apprenticeship
4. How about travel from Mexico to Utila?
5. Any sage advise from someone who has been there?

I know this is much to ask. I am utilizing other sourse to answer some of these question, howerver I like to get as many opinoins as I can. If you would perfer to email me my address is vykkdraygo1@hotmail.com. Thank you!

hey dude, funny thing is i want to do the exact same thing as you and have already done months of research.
The main thing is on Utila and most other places aound the world, Dive Masters are a dime a dozen and usually work for the experience and free dives, thats it. No pay!Untill u become an Instructor there isn't much hope that u will make much money. And even as an instructor it all depends on if your good at what you do or a place will hire you with next to no experience. To top off that, you get paid by per person you cert, so if people think your not good enough or qualitied enough, u go hungry.
As someone once said to me, "would u want to learn to scuba dive from you, or a much more advanced person?" Ouch, the truth hurts.
Theres really little work if any on Utila and when u factor in that Utila is a back packers cheap getaway and most want to do some kind of work to be able to stay longer, your chances of work there r not good n pay is traded for a small meal or 2 at the place of work.
I have to save like crazy, and hope for the best when i go in Sept not in April like i had thought of going.
Sorry, i know it sucks, but its what i found out.

Good to have you join us...

I think you'll find the Cent America forum very helpful.

:bandit_2: don

Geoffrey,

A few things real quick......I echo everything Okidoki said above. He and I are friends and met on Utila some years back. I like Utila and will be there for about a month beginning in February. Additionally, with the limited $$$you have, I would go by bus to LaCeiba and ferry to Utila. Look around, budget yourself accordingly...maybe do your OW and AOW and then check where you are with your $$$. Before you lock yourself in with any dive op there, personally check them all out. You can walk anywhere on the island. To get an idea of the wide variety of lodging costs and whats available, check here: www.aboututila.com.

Regards,

Hi Geoffrey,
Welcome to Scubaboard. I'm not in Utila anymore, as my handle suggests, but I lived there for almost four years. Funnily enough I know a guy on Utila named Geoffrey Blackburn, who has some of the same goals you have. He's been there about two years and has managed to survive doing odd jobs like you describe. Whoda thunkit? You should look him up when you get there.
Good luck
When you get to Utila, be sure to observe the fishing regulations.

DeepBlueDivers:
Hi Tex

You need a Name Change now, should be TexinThailand, hope all is well.

As long as it's just a name change!!!!

texinutila:
Hi Geoffrey,
Welcome to Scubaboard. I'm not in Utila anymore, as my handle suggests, but I lived there for almost four years. Funnily enough I know a guy on Utila named Geoffrey Blackburn, who has some of the same goals you have. He's been there about two years and has managed to survive doing odd jobs like you describe. Whoda thunkit? You should look him up when you get there.
Good luck
When you get to Utila, be sure to observe the fishing regulations.
Hey Tex - good to hear from you. :thumb: It was great diving with you last August, altho it was odd calling someone else "Tex."

It's difficult to imagine anyone making a supporting living there without some special skill needed but available in the locals. There are a lot of Hondurans on the mainland who can come over without the challenges a foreign national might have, who will work for little.

Back
Top Bottom