Christmas in Ottawa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eagleray2003

Reaction score
Just got back from spending Christmas in Ottawa with my sister, first visit there in the winter, very pretty city.
I managed to take a day and visit all the dive shops (of course) seems to be a healthy market with the amount of shops in the city, managed to get a real good buy on a dive computer.
Will definitley be back in the spring for a week or 2 to do an advanced nitrox course and possibly a specialty course.
Happy New Year to all
Scott

eagleray2003 once bubbled...
Just got back from spending Christmas in Ottawa with my sister, first visit there in the winter, very pretty city.
I managed to take a day and visit all the dive shops (of course) seems to be a healthy market with the amount of shops in the city, managed to get a real good buy on a dive computer.
Will definitley be back in the spring for a week or 2 to do an advanced nitrox course and possibly a specialty course.
Happy New Year to all
Scott

Very glad you enjoyed yourself here. I've always liked the city, big yet small.

Do drop a PM when you're back, and I'll try to get a gang together for a dive or two or three or .....

Halifax is also very pretty from what I remember - I was there many years ago.
After visiting all the dive shops here, which was your favorite and why?
I'd love to join you and Divingal for a dive in the Spring!!!
Barb:)

barb once bubbled...
Halifax is also very pretty from what I remember - I was there many years ago.
After visiting all the dive shops here, which was your favorite and why?
I'd love to join you and Divingal for a dive in the Spring!!!
Barb:)

it's a "date"

To answer your question Barb, and these are purely on a short visit to the majority of the shops but here goes the store on Hunt Club sorry the name slips my memory right now was a nice store but seemed a little expensive, Sharky's was a neat little store but kind of a hassle to park, I bought a computer from a store in the far west end sorry again the name of the village slips my memory and I don't have their card with me right now but It's called The Dive Center, they gave me a real good deal on a computer and as luck would have it they have a guy teaching technical courses for them who came highly recommended by someone here in Halifax, nice people and have been diving alot around the world.
Possibly a connection with an operator somewhere down south but again that was just a feeling I got from over hearing a conversation but possibly someone from Ottawa on the board may know better.

OK.. I have to ask.. Where do you go diving in Ottawa?
Other than the river I can't think of anything..
Just curious... I used to live there for a few year many years ago, But I moved south to warmer climes.. LOL

sparky30 once bubbled...
OK.. I have to ask.. Where do you go diving in Ottawa?
Other than the river I can't think of anything..
Just curious... I used to live there for a few year many years ago, But I moved south to warmer climes.. LOL

there's the bathtub, the swimming pool... just kidding.

There are lakes in abundance (too numerous to mention), Morrison's Quarry, Ottawa River, St Lawrence River and Lake Ontario all within a 2 hour drive.

Most folks head to the St Lawrence, a short hop down the highway -- for most under an hour to some of the best diving going IMHO.

The best diving is an hours drive away.
I've heard some divers going in the Ottawa River but I'm waiting for the Zebra Mussels to do a bit more work on the vis.:wink:
Barb

I'll let you in on a secret....

For my Ottawa friends, the zebra mussels have actually been doing a very good job for vis on Big Rideau Lake. The second generation of zeb's on the lake now measure bigger than the size of a Loonie. Vis on our November Volunteer Lake Trout Assessment dive was approx 40 to 50ft. It really is amazing.

If anyone is interested in doing volunteer diving with the Environmental Group I work for you are more than welcome to do so. We have our own dive boat, you just need to bring yourself and your equipment along.

There are a few wrecks and some really cool geological formations also on the lake. If you wish to take part in the future, feel free to PM me and I'll keep a roster handy for when we decide to do some diving.

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom