Henderson 7/5 hyperstretch semi-dry vs. Bare Arctic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loco4scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I live in the Great Lakes region and need a good wetsuit. A drysuit is on my wish list but is too expensive right now. So are there any suggestions or comments on which of these two suits would work for the Great Lakes/Quarry diving?

Thanks,
Loco

I did the Bare Artic vest and fullsuit for many years in the Great Lakes/St. Lawrence. Great suit great fit i loved the integrated hood.

Having said that the best piece of neoprene i've ever bought is my 5/3 Henderson Gold Core hooded vest.

Cheers.

-J.-

I sell both of these suits and I am pretty familiar with them. The bare suit is going to be more durable. I use the bare artic in my rental program. The hyperstretch is going to be much more comfortable, but show wear a little sooner. They are both very good suits. I think either of them would work well for you.

Brent

I dive with the Bare Arctic 7mil jumpsuit and I absolutely love it...I was in 41 degrees with hood/gloves and the only part that got chilly was my cheeks...on my face...I highly recommend it!

I have both a Henderson 3mm fullsuit and the Henderson 7/5 SemiDry. Love the 3mm, not really fond of the SemiDry. It is a warm suit, but it is fragile: easy to shred that gold lining with just so much as a toenail and brushing up against a rock can easily split the nylon exterior. I also find the ankles and lower unnecessarily tight--and I have very thin lower legs.

I bought the suit thinking the reduced chance for water intrusion given by the attached hood would be a benefit. I find that it actually makes the suit much less versatile. There are days when you need 7mm coverage but could dive a shallow second dive w/o a hood. With the semi dry, you can only pull the hood down around your neck, but I find this constrictive (maybe even choking). My wife dives a 5mm with the 5mm hooded vest--great versatility.

If either suit is less money, I'd buy it and be that much closer to affording the drysuit. I got mine this past January and love it.

Artic Bare is the way to go between these two suits. Who ever said henderson is more comfortable, remember, Bare make a gazillion sizes (give or take a few). Nuff said....

I just bought a Bare. I've only gotten it wet a few times but I like it. Sounds like I made the right choice.. I'm still trying to decide whether to trim the hood or not..

I got about 6 years on my Henderson 7/5 hyperstretch. I think its time to retire it now but I got my moneys worth from it. Oh yeah I've dove it on Jersey wreck dives and it kept me warm.

Bare also makes a 7mm in the Progressive stretch/hydrostretch/SGS flavor, which is a little more like the Hyperstretch. I just bought the Arctic SGS 7mm, and it is very comfortable and seems more durable than my older Henderson

The SGS has been discontinued for a while. Some are still around in smaller mens and many ladies sizes.

Between the 2 suits I'd go Arctic, hands down, I'm very happy with mine and would rebuy in a flash. Plan to get the companion hooded step-in vest as well.

If warmth is priority you don't want 5mm panels and soft neoprene.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom