Nohoch Nah Chich

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Campana

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last Day of Akumal 2002

Nohoch Nah Chich (Giant Birdhouse) was to be the site of the last two dives of the trip. Both dives were to be on the same set of Aluminum 80 doubles, and no fill was done between the two dives. The dives were very shallow, would present minimal nitrogen uptake, and thus were appropriate for the day before flying home.

Nohoch Nah Chich is around 5 km south of the entrance to Dos Ojos on Highway 307, the main drag between Cancun (AKA Dallas on the Beach) and Tulum. In the past, Sherpas were used to tote tanks on horses or burros, and divers had to walk. If you ever saw the excellent video of “Cave Diving the Yucatan Peninsula” you will remember seeing this part.

Now, however, there is a good road to the Cenote. After arriving at the parking lot for the Cenote and open air restaurant, divers walk around the Cenote and sort of spiral down into the water area, and the local boys are waked up to lower the gear and tanks down on ropes. “Americans*” would have installed a power elevator or at least a Warn 4500 winch, but the local boys run a rope over a branch and lower away.

(*Note on the word “Americans”: Mexicans, Canadians, Brazilians, Chileans, and Hondurans, all living on the American continent, are all “Americans” and I acknowledge this. However, “United Statians” is just too cumbersome, so please forgive my apparent cultural insensitivity).

So anyway, gear is assembled and Yayo gives the briefing with the usual excellent line drawings. During the briefing, he states that the cave system is, or at least was, considered to be the longest underwater cave in the world, and is or was listed in the Guinness book as such. It is thought to be 225,000 feet long. For the mathematically disinclined, that is “longer than Hell”.

Dive Numero Uno was begun at 9:53 A.M., and was an 800 psi penetration. That is, the first diver to use 800 psi turned the dive. The cave was shallow, and the dive was 29 feet maximum, for 87 minutes.

This was a cool down dive. There were no serious restrictions, the diving is easy, and the scenery is breathtaking beyond description. In the Gerrard book, there are pictures that show the type flowstone that is encountered, with stalactites that look like giant wedding cakes, humongous icicles, or piles of snot from the Jolly Green Giant himself. We proceeded up Arturo’s line to the “Heaven’s Gate” stone, a truly gigantic formation that is arguably the most beautiful rock in the world. Then, we entered the Disneyland section, where very little imagination will reveal all the cuddly little figures that Walt could have conjured up on his best acid trip. There are also “helectites” (Spelling?), which are pretty different, too. It is believed that mineral laden water, as it dripped through little soda straws, was blown by winds, or otherwise misdirected from it’s usual vertical path, which causes some spirally looking stalactites which sort of worm their way around in whatever direction they see fit. It creates a rather bizarre looking formation which must be seen to be understood. Off to the side, columns create forests that could never be penetrated by a swimmer, and I could not imagine what lay on their other side.

There are a couple of rather confusing spots, and I used my cave cookies to mark my way to avoid any mental discomfort later. For you non cavers, cookies are innovations that are similar to cave arrows except they are non directional. They are used to mark a spot on a line that might need to be remembered later. This could be a penetration limit for future reference, and in this case, cookies were used to mark just which line I personally wanted to follow in order to go out on the same line I followed on the entry. They look like cave arrows, except they are round. They should be marked with the cavers mark, name, or initials.

On this dive, I felt very comfortable and “in the groove”.

Dive number two was begun after a surface interval, at 12:51, after fortification of all hands by interesting sandwiches and the usual choco-chip snacks. It was 20 feet deep, maximum, for 75 minutes and was done on thirds from the 1800 psi I had left from the morning dive. We followed the main line, and again, there were few restrictions and almost no spots not rich with mineral formations. White flow stone was common, columns, and more helectites were also seen. I achieved Nirvana and went into a trance.

Our squad of divers was scattered high and low, in a line, and I accidentally swam under J, who was supposed to be in front of me. Since J has a really good education and is very alert, he immediately grabbed my manifold and hitched a ride for quite some time without any hint to me of his tomfoolery.

I had more than one inattentive moment that day. Earlier, I forgot my extra battery for my excellent Dive Rite Wreck Light, and “had to” borrow S’s Halcyon 10 watt focusable NiMh light. If you haven’t seen these, the NiMh batteries are much, much, smaller than the motorcycle batteries that we usually use, and look like a long flashlight with the cord to the head coming out the top as usual. I fell in love with this light, and plan on suing S for exposing me to temptation to spend $900 on another light. We could have settled out of court, if he had simply given me the light as requested, but he declined. See you in court, S.

After this dive, we all packed up. As we dried our gear, our room looked like a bomb went off in the warehouse of Leisure Pro. We planned to get drunk and raise hell that night, but somehow everyone just stared off into space and wandered around. It seemed really strange, sitting on the beach, watching the sun go down, a trickle of sweat running down my nose, and hearing “Jingle Bell Rock” floating through the tropical evening. Then someone said “Only four shopping days left”.

The Cancun airport was a zoo. The line of Gringos trying to get into the country snaked through every available space, seems like Christmas on the beach was a popular idea this year. The American Airlines plane was not half full and I spread out my stuff over three seats and read the Steve Gerrard book and looked at the pictures, between bouts of talking to a Mexican attorney, who wanted to tell me about the fact that he owned a Harley Davidson AND a Honda Goldwing, the fact that his wife would never learn English and if he moved to the States, and how she would be an even more vivid pain in the ass than she is now, and the fact that Fidel Castro lied about the President of Mexico when he said he left Mexico only when forced to do so.

Back at DFW, my honey was waiting. I ran to her and kissed her, and boy was I glad to see her. Driving through Dallas with smooth pavement, high-rise offices with all their lights on, crowded shopping malls, passing 25 year old blonds in their new Hummer H2’s, on my way back to our home in the woods, I was in shock after the peace, tranquility, and beauty of the caves of the Maya Riviera.

I’m going back next year.

Campana:

I am glad to know that you enjoyed your dive as Nohoch, though I do have to say the the vivid pictures you painted brought tears to my eyes. The last time I was at Nohoch was Dec. of 1999, and the scenery was much different. Mike Madden, Laura, myself, my former s.o. and a German gentleman helped "the boys" load the burros with enough gear to last a week (literally) and carrying what would not fit on the burros ourselves, humped it in. There was no road, and certainly no parking lot. We passed Nohoch itself, the giant half-open cenote, and continued to the Heaven's Gate basecamp, where we dove for the next several days, spending the nights listening to the insects, playing chess and cards, eating Laura's fabulous cooking, and sleeping in hammocks under open air Palapas. Def. no restaurant there. After a few days we made the 8000' traverse to Far Point Station and spent the rest of the trip exploring the farther reaches of the system. This included a hike over to "The Pit" for a dive. We then reversed the process on the way out. While your dive does sound wonderful, and the formations you described are much as I remember them, it is diheartening to me to find that Nohoch has become so commercialized. I think I prefer the way I remember it. Based on your description, I think I would just be sick if I went back now.

chickdiver once bubbled...
Campana:

I am glad to know that you enjoyed your dive as Nohoch, though I do have to say the the vivid pictures you painted brought tears to my eyes. The last time I was at Nohoch was Dec. of 1999, and the scenery was much different. ........ ...........................................Based on your description, I think I would just be sick if I went back now.

Chickdiver,
Got to agree with you on this one. I, too, dove Nohoch when you had to walk in to experience this cave. This also limited the number of divers to 5 per day! This was one memorable experience, and I, too, do not think it will ever be the same. I guess some call this progress.

I did Nohoch in August and we still had to walk... There was a road but it was not good enough for our van to make it up to the cenote. They must have done a LOT of work on it in the few months since I was there. I wouldn't worry about it becomming too commercialized, there are lots of cenotes there that are much easier to get to still that the tours will go to. They were doing snorkel tours when we were there but they didn't let the snorkelers wear fins and they had to bring them in with special Army trucks as normal transportation couldn't make it up the road.

I've got to go back there ASAP!!

Yeah, the new road was no worse than the road into DeRosa's at the Adventuras Akumal turn-off! Now THAT was a rough road!=-)

Diver Lori once bubbled...
Yeah, the new road was no worse than the road into DeRosa's at the Adventuras Akumal turn-off! Now THAT was a rough road!=-)

You can say that again! Worst part of the day was coming back and hoping your gear didn't get smashed in the back of the van while negotiating the huge holes in the road close to Aquatec!

We kidded Gonzalo (yayo) that there would soon be a new cenote opening up if they didn't fill some of those holes!

The road has been that bad since August!!?? I bet it's alot worse now than when you navigated across it. And yes, I can relate to the damaged gear. My HID bit the dust the second day into the trip. That was my fault for putting it in the bin.....but I did notice that everybody started hand carrying their lights the rest of the week after that...........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom