Couple of Q's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

battles2a5

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So first of all, I've been diving a DR Transplate (which has been converted to hog), my lights (2 backups and HID) are DR, just purchased my new classic wing for doubles, and I have plenty of other DR doodads. So I am a fan. Right now I'm looking at regs for doubles and one of our local tech instructors is steering me towards the RG2500's or Huricanes. I currently have 2 Divers Supply Tek-X regs that I had considered converting to DIN but really have not been happy with. The cracking pressure adjustment on BOTH of my second stages has frozen up and my LDS hasn't been able to figure out why. And I baby those things so I don't want to get into a situation where my regs can't stand up to my diving. In researching your regs, it seems that my current regs share a lot of parts with yours. I was hoping you could give me the break-down of what separates the two.

I have the newest version of the tek-x and it looks very similar to the Hurricane. The 1st stage looks the same (both sealed, balanced, diaphragm). The second stages look similar (venturi assist in same place, same basic dimensions, both air-balanced). I am looking primarily at the RG2500 w/ the ice kit. Can you tell me what sets these apart for the regs I am diving now? I'm also looking at the XTX50's/DS4's so if you have any comparitive data on those it would be helpful. I'm not asking for (or interested in) any gear bashing, just some constructive feedback as to the differences in these regs.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I believe the best answer to your question is for us to give you our test data and let you compare that to test data from the other manufacturer's you are considering. See the results attached. I can tell you that Dive Rite regulators are not the same as the regs you mention on your post. While there may be some visual similarities, all Dive Rite regulators have OEM parts that we specifically design for our purposes.

Two of the most important criteria when selecting a tech regulator are work of breathing and reliability, as you mention. You might also consider service, hose compatibility and hose routing options. Making sure that your local shop is certified to service your reg is important when convenience and speed are needed to get you back in the water as your prep for a big dive. Also, the cost of service kits can play a significant factor in reg selection. Dive Rite offers all authorized dealers free service kits for life on any reg that is serviced every two years or 100 dives. We know how critical proper reg service is and we incentivize our dealers (and thus consumer) to keep their regs up on service. Check around on average service costs for the regs you are considering. How much are parts kits and dealer service fees. You will be surprised.

Hoses are another consideration. Some first stages use a non-standard 1/2" port for the primary reg, rather than industry standard 3/8" port. This is perfect when your entire dive team uses the same reg or when you are diving close to home and can get a replacement hose from your local dive shop. When you begin tech diving in the field and your reg hose splits and no one around sells that hose or your dive buddies don't use that same hose and you don't have a spare...it can be a pain. Just know that a specialized hose adds another element to your dive planning.

Finally, take a look at potential hose routing for tech regs. Your instructor can best help you with this, but you'll want to make sure that the first stage reg you are selecting is capable of routing hoses according to your training and preference without putting stress on the hoses. The first stage should remain low profile and streamlined so that it does not hit you in the back of the head, nor stick up above you, which is a potential hazard. Make sure the first stage you select is capable of doing this without crimping the hoses at 90 degree angle, etc.

Price should not be a consideration when choosing a tech reg. I know we are all consumers and we all have limited dollars, but when choosing a life support system for an extreme environment, check the above criteria first. Once you have 2-3 regs that qualify for the criteria, only then does price come into the picture.

I hope this is of some help. If you have more questions, give us a call or post again.

Best,
Kathleen

Attachments

• ~$W REGULATORS WORK (2).doc
    162 bytes · Views: 77
Kathleen-

The MS Word doc doesn't open properly for me. Can you re-post?

Thanks,
Kevin

The following article was written by Frank Feeley, our own Dive Rite regulator technician who has worked on all Dive Rite regulators for the past five years. Let us know if you have additional questions. Thanks.

HOW REGULATORS WORK
Choosing the right SCUBA regulator can be quite a challenge with so many brands, and models available today. Then there is the daunting task of trying to decipher all the numbers, units of measurement, and technical jargon used in many regulator advertisements. It can all be very confusing. The truth is, its not all that complicated once you have a basic understanding of what it all means. For the purposes of this article we will cover balanced design first and second stages.
The term “balanced” refers to a regulator that delivers gas at the same inhalation effort regardless of depth or tank pressure. The inhalation effort on an unbalanced regulator gets increasingly difficult as depth increases and tank pressure decreases.
Balanced regulators compensate for depth and tank pressure by equalizing the pressure on both sides of the valve therefore allowing smoother breathing.
Through many years of research and development and design modifications Dive Rite has come up with the perfect balance of performance and simplicity in our regulator configuration.

The Dive Rite RG2500 and the Hurricane incorporate balanced first and second stage designs.
In addition to our balanced design we have also chosen the mechanical function of the diaphragm first stage as opposed to the piston, therefore eliminating the number of moving parts and keeping all internal parts dry and free of any outside contaminates or debris. The Hurricane has an over-balanced first stage that actually increases interstage pressure as you go deeper, compensating for the denser air
Please don’t be fooled by other companies who claim to sell the same regulators at a discount price. While they may appear to be the same, they are not. Dive Rite has spent many years designing, testing, and modifying our regulators to meet our own personal high standards that far surpass those of most manufacturers.
Dive Rite equipment is not designed by non diving engineers. It is designed and tested by longtime active technical and military divers who know what they want and expect in SCUBA life support equipment.

We believe in giving our customers the facts not fluff, allowing you to make your own educated decision with the information supplied herein. We encourage our customers to research our competitor’s claims and request their test data reports to compare with ours.

How Regulator Testing Works

Today's regulator testing is done on the ANSTI testing system which evaluates a regulators performance based on the following factors: human breathing simulation, scientific repeatability, test time, and complexity.

Here's how it works:

Regulators are often tested at several different breathing rates known as RMV's (respiratory minute volume, in liters per minute). Basically this translates to breaths per minute (inhalation and exhalation) times the size of the breath known as the Tidal Volume. In other words, at an RMV of 37.5 a diver is filling his or her lungs with 2.5 liters of air on every inhalation and forcing the same amount out on every exhalation. The RMV at 15 breaths per minute would be 18.75 liters per minute during inhalation and 18.75 liters per minute during exhalation making the total air moved thru the lungs, 37.5 liters in one minute.

During regulator testing, the ANSTI system takes continuous readings of inhalation effort, exhalation effort, and precisely calculates the work of breathing as well as many other readings.
The average breathing rate during a relaxed dive, where heavy work rates are not encountered is generally between 25- 31 RMV.

The first test is done at 37.5 RMV, which best represents a regulators performance during a dive with a somewhat aggressive breathing rate that could be maintained by most fit divers for at least 3-5 minutes without becoming significantly winded.

The second test is done at 62.5 RMV. This is the high qualifying work rate used by the US Navy, and the European conformance standard EN250 for evaluating regulator performance. Regulator performance testing for CE requires that the regulator have a work of breathing no higher than 3 j/l (joules per liter, unit respiratory work).

The US Navy does not set a limit but rather a goal. The Navy goal is 1.37 j/l or less when breathed at 62.5 RMV at both 132 fsw and at 198 fsw using a 1500 psig supply pressure.
As you will see below, The New Dive Rite RG2500 was tested at half the US Navy's 1500 psig supply pressure, and still had a work of breathing of well below 1.37 j/l.
Here at Dive Rite, we believe in giving our customers the honest facts, not fluff, and letting you compare our numbers to other products, then making your own educated decision.

*The test depths shown on air are for performance test purposes only. Dive Rite does not recommend diving on air below the 130 fsw (40 msw) limit.
"Breathe Easy" With The Dive Rite RG2500

ANSTI DEMAND REGULATOR PERFORMANCE

Dive Rite RG2500

Intermediate pressure 140 psig (surface/static)

Conditions of test:
Depth 165 fsw (50.4 msw)
Water temperature 71.5 F (21.9 C)
Exhale temperature 69.6 F (20.9 C)
HP supply pressure 717 psig (49.5 barg)
Tidal volume 2.50 litre
Breath rate 14.98 bpm
Ventilation rate 37.5 lpm

37.5 RMV (respiratory minute volume, in liters per minute) best represents regulator performance during a dive with a somewhat aggressive breathing rate

Results:
Inhale pressure 5.52 mbar
Inhale pos pressure 1.21 mbar
Exhale pressure 5.01 mbar
Work of breathing 0.57 j/l
Inhale work 0.23 j/l
Pos inhale work 0.00 j/l
Exhale work 0.34 j/l
ANSTI DEMAND REGULATOR PERFORMANCE

Dive Rite RG2500

Intermediate pressure 140 psig (surface/static)

Conditions of test
Depth 198 fsw (60.5 msw)
Water temperature 77.4 F (25.2 C)
Exhale temperature 74.0 F (23.3 C)
HP supply pressure 723 psig (49.9 barg)
Tidal volume 2.50 litre
Breath rate 25.07 bpm
Ventilation rate 62.5 lpm

62.5 RMV (respiratory minute volume, in liters per minute) is the standard high work rate, used by the US Navy and the European conformance standard EN250 for evaluating regulator performance.

The US Navy Class A test requires a WOB (work of breathing) of 1.37 j/l or less, at both 132 fsw (40msw) and 190 fsw (60.5 msw) with a 1500 psig supply pressure.

Results:
Inhale pressure 9.32 mbar
Inhale pos pressure 3.63 mbar
Exhale pressure 12.8 mbar
Work of breathing 1.06 j/l
Inhale work 0.25 j/l
Pos inhale work 0.03 j/l
Exhale work 0.80 j/l

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom