can't decide between Dive Rite Primaloft undergarment, Weezle or DIY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob9000

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I wish I could actually see and touch this stuff before having to order! I have a trilam suit and am considering upgrading from fleece to a light loft undergarment. I see Dive Rite has the Primaloft suit, and then there is Weezle. I am also considering buying insulated outdoor clothing for a DIY solution. Water temps around here I think average 55 F with lows in the 40s. I'd like to have a working range up to 65 F or so for Southern California diving. I tend to get cold easier than others. I already have midweight undies and 100g fleece pants and shirt. I have the Pinnacle Temperate fleece (about 300g or so) that I have so far only used for 65-ish F water. I could feel the cold of teh water, but I didn't feel like I was getting chilled.

- Is the Dive Rite closer to the Weezle compact than the Extreme?
- The Dive Rite is about $370. The Weezle Extreme is about $290. I would probably go for the two-piece Weezle which is about the same cost as the Dive Rite jumpsuit.
- A DIY solution would cost somewhere in between the two (with a wicking layer as well).

If go DIY, here is what I am thinking:
I am considering separate synthetic insulated pants and jacket for use as a DS undergarment so I can reuse them with skiing and on the motorcycle as middle layers. I don't think I would use a jumpsuit for these uses just because I may only want to use only the top or the bottom. I also like the idea of being able to shed the top layer on a surface interval while leaving the DS on as pants.

I know a jumpsuit is more convenient for getting in to for a dive, and I understand that going with separates can result in the top and bottom coming separated at the waist, resulting in a cold spot during the dive. I did a little experimenting with fleece tops and bottoms and as long as I tucked some of my top layers in to the bottom layers then I was OK. If I go the synthetic insulated top and bottom route, it would essentially be a two-piece Weezle that doesn't zip together. I figure I would need to rig some straps or something to help keep the two pieces together.

I've worn both. I really liked the Weezle, but both seemed comfortable and effective.

I like the Bare drysuit undies. I wear them with a light pair of capilene underneath and find them great for everything from 42-70. (With or without the capilene.)

My opinion - based on experience with DIY to save money and allow layering, I'd advise you to a) buy an off the shelf product and b) buy a unisuit. I happened to get a Weezle and love it, but there are others as good. I guarantee you that no DIY solution will keep you as warm and they don't have the water repellent properties that the designed suits do - and those really do work. The unisuit design can be shed halfway between dives with no problem, and doesn't have the bunching problem. I also found that in the end I only made one seasonal switch from summer to winter because switching around undergarments was a pain from a weighting standpoint - so it's either the unisuit with a fleece top, or without. And one weight belt or the other. In your case you can use the Pinnacle for warm (65) water and your new one for colder.

ageddiver:
My opinion - based on experience with DIY to save money and allow layering, I'd advise you to a) buy an off the shelf product and b) buy a unisuit. I happened to get a Weezle and love it, but there are others as good. I guarantee you that no DIY solution will keep you as warm and they don't have the water repellent properties that the designed suits do - and those really do work. The unisuit design can be shed halfway between dives with no problem, and doesn't have the bunching problem. I also found that in the end I only made one seasonal switch from summer to winter because switching around undergarments was a pain from a weighting standpoint - so it's either the unisuit with a fleece top, or without. And one weight belt or the other. In your case you can use the Pinnacle for warm (65) water and your new one for colder.

Yeah my inner voice was just telling me this. I think I'll go for the Dive Rite since a local shop sells them....support the local guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom