Liability waiver to fill tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ray65

Reaction score
The Fire Department in Labrador City, Newfoundland now refuses to fill any Scuba tanks due to an accident in Grand Falls/Windsor. They are saying they can be held liable if bad air is received.

This is the only place to get tanks filled in Labrador City, the next closest town is three hours drive over dirt road.

We are afraid of the ramifacations of this decision across Newfoundland & Labrador and the rest of Canada for Fire Stations. A lot of small towns may no longer be able to get air for Scuba.

Anyone have a liability waiver for scuba tank refills?
We are all out of luck here...and out of air!

What happened at the fire station in Grand Falls? I've heard air at fire stations can be sketchy and of course when you add pressure to the mix the effects of the contaminant multiply. Hopefully nobody was hurt.

As for getting air, it might be a tough situation. Some people have home compressors but they aren't cheap and making sure your air is clean and safe can be an added expense and hassle. If you have enough regular local divers you might be able to start a club as a way of paying for those costs. Let us know what you come up with. Good luck.

Ray65:
The Fire Department in Labrador City, Newfoundland now refuses to fill any Scuba tanks due to an accident in Grand Falls/Windsor. They are saying they can be held liable if bad air is received.

This is the only place to get tanks filled in Labrador City, the next closest town is three hours drive over dirt road.

We are afraid of the ramifacations of this decision across Newfoundland & Labrador and the rest of Canada for Fire Stations. A lot of small towns may no longer be able to get air for Scuba.

Anyone have a liability waiver for scuba tank refills?
We are all out of luck here...and out of air!

Hey, Ray.
There's another thread here, somewhere, where this was being discussed, as well. I'm a firefighter in Clarenville, and our station only supplies air for our own use (i.e. SCBA). We're not set up for SCUBA fittings. Also, our station doesn't want to get into the legal issues from an accident involving air. I never heard anything about the G/F/W incident...can you tell us about it here (or PM me...I'd be interested)? I got some air from the Burin f/d last fall, no problem. But they have a separate compressor donated by the old SCUBA club. Apparently, the guys that still dive just come by and fill up whenever they want.
I agree with what wkowalski said - I'd be eyeing a compressor if I were you (just make certain you cover all the legal bases).
BTW, are you a firefighter? We had a couple guys come down to Clarenville from Lab this past spring for training.
Dave

I am not sure what the accident was, just that the fire-department was mentioned in a liability suite. I used to be a member of the fire and Rescue and am thinking of rejoining.

Divers in our area may be around 30-40
We also have a dive club.
The town has said if we get a waiver drafted and their lawyers approve it, they will fill our tanks again.

What ever happened with this? Did you get a waiver? I have just sent this to the Fire Chief in GF. I'm trying to find out where to get fills in Central now. Might have to go splits on a compressor. I am only home, maybe, 2 weeks a year. If you got a waiver I would like a copy. I'm sure I can find one here in LA that shops, boats or clubs use.

---------- Post added May 26th, 2014 at 12:37 PM ----------

No. Nothing happened at the grand falls Windsor station. Just talked to the fire chief. Please get facts straight.

Back
Top Bottom