RiteSource hose lenght?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

willembad

Contributor
Reaction score
As far away from salt water as you can get in Flor
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Kathleen,

Good to see someone from DR watching this forum. Definately good to get info straight from the manufacturer.

I'd like to know if you offer different hose lenghts to fit my RiteSource? I believe the standard hose is 28" and I'd like something shorter. If not, do you offer an adaptor to use a regular inflator hose, and what would the result of using a standard inflator hose be as far as breathing on the RiteSource?

Thanks in advance,

Willem

Willem,

A this time we only offer one length hose. A standard fitting wold not provide the volume of air needed when using the Rite-Source as a breathing device.

Jerry

Hi Willem,

We could probably accommodate your request through special order, however the cost and time might be prohibitive. The thing about the 28-inch hose is to assist you in case of an emergency out of air situation. The next standard size down from 28 is 22-inch, which means changing the corrugated hose from 16-inch to 12-inch. This could create a problem if you need to do an emergency out of air share with your buddy. The 12-inch corrugated hose isn't long enough to comfortably breathe from and may pull away from your mouth.

Special order could be an option, if you are committed to changing the size. Otherwise, give us a call if you want to chat streamlining options for the longer 28-inch hose. Sometimes, twisting it around the corrugated hose takes up some slack or adding bungee to the corrugated hose in several spots and threading the longer hose through the bungee before attaching to the shrader valve can keep it from arcing behind your head.

Cheers,
Kathleen

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for the responses. I do not want to shorten the corrugated hose as that will certainly be a problem during an OOA situation. I was just trying to clean up this... (that's me on the right :wink: )

Bill 112_1.jpg

but 22" would be too short. I know... I'm being to picky :D .

I tried wrapping it around the corrugated hose but didn't like the fact that it changes the inflator button's positions. I'll definately try the bungees next and I'm sure that would help.

Thanks again.

Willem

I agree with Willem, that LP hose length seems too long for that length of corrugated inflator hose. I don't use Air2/SS1/Rite Source type seconds, but from that picture the corrugated hose length seems OK its just the inflation hose that is a couple inches too long.

John

I use a 20" LP inflation hose with my 14" corrugated hose on a single tank setup, so 22" hose would be long enough with a 16" corrugated hose for me. 22" LP hose is also long enough for my backup reg on a singles rig. With doubles I need 2" more for both the backup reg hose and the wing inflation hose, but many people prefer those extra 2" inches even for singles. 22-24" is the generally recommended hose length for a bungeed backup, and for backplate and wing type BCD's (and I presume most other kinds too) that length inflation hose should go fine with a 16" corrugated hose.

So bottom line: 24" inflation hose should be plenty for most Rite Source divers and 22" might be just enough. But 28" seems overkill.

IST makes a part called "Standard To Air 2 Inflator Adapter" which costs about $15. Both scuba.com and scubatoys at least sell them. I'm told they fit the Rite Sources and should let you attach a standard LP reg hose of desired length to your rig.

Personally if I were producing these octo-inflators I'd include that type of adapter as part of the original package along with a 24" LP reg hose as the default choice, and other lengths as optional. But then again, I really don't know, maybe there are a bunch of people out there who really need that 28" hose for some reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom