Henderson 7/5 not quite warm enough. Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mohave_steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know.... Drysuit....

What I would really like to do is find some combination that will compliment warmer dives as well.

All I currently have is the Henderson 7/5 and it has worked well in 55-65 degree water.
At 49 degrees I get cold. At 70 I get too warm.

Can any one recommend an addition to my current gear that I could wear under or over my 7mm for colder dives and wear by itself on warmer dives?

Thanks

Steve

For under the suit, various manufacturers make core warmers that you step in to and wear under the suit. Pinnacle is one that comes to mind. The core warmers that go under the suit typically do not have a zipper. Most of them are 3mm. Henderson makes a core warmer that goes over the suit that can be had in different thicknesses. Bare makes a zip-up step in over vest thing in either 5mm and 7mm that both have a hood built in.

mohave_steve:
I know.... Drysuit....

What I would really like to do is find some combination that will compliment warmer dives as well.

All I currently have is the Henderson 7/5 and it has worked well in 55-65 degree water.
At 49 degrees I get cold. At 70 I get too warm.

Can any one recommend an addition to my current gear that I could wear under or over my 7mm for colder dives and wear by itself on warmer dives?

Thanks

Steve
Add a hooded vest for the colder dives, buy a 5 mm for the above 70 dives. - or, like you said - a dry suit:)

I have seen the hooded vests and wondered if one should be warn under or over your fullsuit. Also, is it practical to wear the vest by itself in warmer water?
Thanks

4th Element makes an undergarment that they say has the thermal properties of a 2.5mm wetsuit, but no buoyancy change with depth. I've seen the garment but don't know of anybody who's actually used it yet. That looks like it might be something you could wear under a heaver wetsuit (without having to add tons of weight) and still use in warm water.

You can certainly use a hooded vest alone, but the water'd have to be in the mid-80's before I would think about it!

As mentioned try the Bare Arctic 7mm step-in vest over your existing suit. Has attached hood, and very comfortable.

mohave_steve:
I have seen the hooded vests and wondered if one should be warn under or over your fullsuit. Also, is it practical to wear the vest by itself in warmer water?
Thanks

The vests are not likely to make much sense in warmer water. At least that is true of the cuts I'm aware of.

As far as warming up your 7/5 jumpsuit a hooded vest is the ticket. It will add some rubber on your core, mute the zipper seepage and virtually close off your neck opening.

You can have a nice improvement by adding a chicken vest. The Bare model is about 4 pounds buoyant and it is worn under your full suit.

There is also a hooded step-in shorty that is worn over. To be comfortable in 50F this is my suggestion. It's about 10.5 pounds buoyant. There is also a 5mm version.

With the heavier vest the weak link will be the arms and hands. With your arms being still there won't be a lot of heat getting to your hands with those 5mm sleeves. You can mitigate this some by getting some good 5mm gauntlet gloves that run up the forearm some and help keep your wrists protected.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom