Aeris XR-2 (w/compass) Console question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingPrincessE

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Will the Aeris XR-2 still function as a dive computer if it is simply clipped to my BCD and not hooked up to the first stage?

Background:
I am a new diver and thinking about getting the Aeris XR-2 Console with compass. I don't have enough money to get the whole reg set up right now, but I want to buy a computer before I go on a dive trip in September. One of the dive shops I will be diving with said I could switch my console for their guage on the rental reg set up...and another one said I could not (still waiting to hear from the third shop).

I plan to get the rest of the reg set up later in the year, so this will probably only be an issue during this one dive trip.

Thanks!

(I am not interested in getting a wrist computer at this time...I may get one down the line and have the Aeris act as a back up at that point).

EmilyS,

The XR-2 is not "air integrated" i.e. is not connected via hose or transmitter to the first stage. Depending on how you have it set up, you can have it in a console or on your wrist. If you can work out a way to do it, you could clip it off on a ring - just make sure that you have convenient and safe access to it. You will want to have it on a retractor so that you can pull it out to view the data. Wrist or console are the two most convenient places to be able to access the information when you need to.

Hawkwood:
EmilyS,

The XR-2 is not "air integrated" i.e. is not connected via hose or transmitter to the first stage. Depending on how you have it set up, you can have it in a console or on your wrist. If you can work out a way to do it, you could clip it off on a ring - just make sure that you have convenient and safe access to it. You will want to have it on a retractor so that you can pull it out to view the data. Wrist or console are the two most convenient places to be able to access the information when you need to.
If it is not air integrated then why does it have the remaining PSI level on the back?

It sounds like you bought something that looks like:
http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/JDA/PROD/comp/10-2630
Correct?
As in, a complete console -- it has the XR2 computer, plus SPG and (possibly) compass, all together in a boot with HP hose?

If so, you would not want to have that just hanging loose -- water can get into the HP hose.

These things have standard fittings -- if you need to rent the regs, there should be zero issue swapping out the non-computer console/HP hose for the XR2, then swap back at the end of vacation. The shop you rent the regs from should be able to do this, it's trivial, about one minute of work. I'd go with the shop who said it's OK, let them to do swap for you -- it's really a no brainer, but simpler to just let them do it for you.

Hi Emily--

There are two issues here.

First, as Hawkwood wrote, the computer itself is not air-integrated. There are three gauges in the console you're thinking about buying -- the computer, the compass, and the submersible pressure gauge (SPG) on the back of the console. Of these, the SPG is the only one that's connected to the high-pressure hose coming from your first stage; that's of course what shows your psi. The computer just sits in its hole in the console, and isn't connected to anything.

Second, as markfm wrote, if/when you buy the entire console, you can have the rental shop just connect the high-pressure hose coming out of the console (out of the SPG, actually) to your rental first stage. No, you shouldn't dive with the console without it being connected to your first stage; you'll ruin the SPG because of water getting into the loose end of the HP hose.

What Hawkwood was saying was, you could also remove the compass from the rubber console boot and put it in a wrist mount or retractor by itself. But as long as you've got the console, it would be easier and cheaper to use the whole console.

--Marek

markfm:
It sounds like you bought something that looks like:
http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/JDA/PROD/comp/10-2630
Correct?
As in, a complete console -- it has the XR2 computer, plus SPG and (possibly) compass, all together in a boot with HP hose?

If so, you would not want to have that just hanging loose -- water can get into the HP hose.

These things have standard fittings -- if you need to rent the regs, there should be zero issue swapping out the non-computer console/HP hose for the XR2, then swap back at the end of vacation. The shop you rent the regs from should be able to do this, it's trivial, about one minute of work. I'd go with the shop who said it's OK, let them to do swap for you -- it's really a no brainer, but simpler to just let them do it for you.

The one I am thinking about getting is this one (with quick disconnect)

http://www.amazon.com/Aeris-Nitrox-Scuba-Computer-compass/dp/B000I5IRB6

I'm not getting it through amazon-but that's the one.

My Atmos II package had the quick disconnect -- it makes it handy to remove to log your dives at the end of the day.
If you buy a full Aeris console with quick disconnect, the package would actually have the HP hose part that the QD console itself connects to -- the other end of that HP hose would be a standard size HP connector, able to go on any normal modern first stage regulator.

The Atmos II is really the same computer with a larger screen, and you're looking at $299 before any of your discounts http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Atmos22Gauge and that is with a knife. And you can add the compass for about 55 bucks...

If you want to do the XR2 you can, but that price difference would not give you anything other than about 1/4 inch less width and a smaller display.

I really liked my Atmos II (just got an Epic). A rock solid computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom