Aeris Epic "OFF" Display and Lens Guard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markfm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I tried a word search in the manual, couldn't find any info on this...

I bought a new Epic yesterday, hooked it up to see that it connected to the transmitter, no problem.

Now it's theoretically acting as a normal watch -- nowhere near a transmitter, etc.

Periodically the time display is replaced by a display with the "Lazy 8" (infinity symbol) and the one word "OFF" next to it. What is this for? Why? Is this just something it does automatically for 24 hours (or whatever) after having connected to a transmitter? Any way to turn this off and have it actually keep acting like a watch?

Also, is there a lens guard that actually fits it? The box came with a self-adhesive guard that isn't actually built for it -- it's a full circle while the Epic needs something more oval, since the "Aeris" at top and the "Epic" at the bottom are raised.

(From a readability standpoint, a self adhesive would be nicer than the thick rubber guard, that also came in the box, if there's one that fits.)

Thanks!

That off display is for setting your watch to display different time zones if I understand it correctly. You can change it to on and plus or minus some hours. This will allow it to display the time zone you are in, and another time zone of your choosing.

Not sure about the lens protector.

Brent

Thanks -- yes, it's the alternative time display (I searched for OFF and off in the Adobe of the manual, neither registered a hit).

I'm thinking it might be the large clear rubber protector, the one that covers the whole unit, partially depressing the mode button, that somehow flipped it to the "OFF" screen. If that's the case, it makes the protector useless -- modes changing without an actual operator input is not acceptable. Hopefully there's an adhesive lens guard that'll work, else I'll have to try manually cutting the one that's provided.

(It looks like a nice computer, I've been really happy with my Atmos II prior to buying this one.)

I have the Epic, nice computer. I tried the small lens protector, just cut it to fit. I didnt care for it and now I just use the heavy lens protector, it shouldn't be pushing the mode button. The only problem I have had was with the altitude adjustment, sent my first Epic back to Aeris and they quickly sent me a new one, great costumer service. I have about 30 dives between the two of them, no other problems. First computer was the Sunto Cobra, I like not having to attach a retractor and one less hose.

I use the epic as a computer. It really packs alot of nice features in a small size. I have sold a good many of them as well and no complaints.

I had the same issue with the off, searched the manual and couldn't find any mention of it. Emailed my rep and he knew the answer.

Brent

It's actually mentioned on the page for Alternate time. Word search doesn't work because it only shows as "OFF".
Since I popped the rubber cover off, put on a trimmed version of the lens guard, it's not doing the mode switch bit. I do like the rubber cover idea, but it just doesn't seem to be working, since that button gets random "hits". I may try trimming the button rubber cover off of that one button.
I think I'll like it a lot -- it's actually even smaller than my Casio watch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom