Interesting fact about sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PK

Contributor
Reaction score
Sharks are most immune to every known disease among all animals. They rarely get sick! Their dna is a focus of scientific study for disease control.

If the movie Deep Blue Sea comes true....I'm going to be pretty ticked off!!

Never saw the movie. What's it about?

In the movie, scientists work on gene therapy. They work with sharks to see if they can lead them to answers and possibly a cure for alzheimer's. They genetically alter the sharks and end up creating what can only be described as "super sharks". They are more intelligent than any other animal, so essentially, the entire ocean would be theirs. Like I said....that wouldn't sit with me too well:upset:

that you're not actually comparing Deep Blue Sea to an intelligent, scientific research project!?!?

That movie was disgraceful!

But, to each his own!

Cheers!

Hey ScubaKatt, what kind of projects are you doing at University at North Queensland? Just curious.

I took up diving to have the opportunity to observe them naturally. I think I have been very lucky to see a few in the last couple yrs.

I recall from bio class sharks are immune to cancers, artheritis & a host of other degenerative diseases. Do you recall what the particular DNA study was trying to investigate?

I saw something I thought was interesting a yr or 2 ago about a study on the hunting & feeding habits of some sharks (forget what kind) in South America. Generally thought to 'find' food independently, this study proved that sharks worked together to literally 'herd' a school of fish around a small semi-circular bay. Three sharks, in a coordinated effort went hunting - left-most shark pushed the school into the bay, the middle shark herded them closer to the beach line, the school is now being herded to the right & closer to the beach. The third shark (right side) sat back & waited for dinner. The scientists observed the sharks would then trade places & repeat the hunt.

Who said they were stupid?

Relax Katt, it was a poor attempt at a joke. I'm well aware that real scientific research has no corolation to what we see in the movies.

Sharks do in fact get cancer. I believe the no cancer myth got started to hype shark cartilage supplements.

Another study I saw on TV had to do with the antibacterial properties in crocodile blood. Apparently scientists observed crocs staying healthy even with open wounds in some really nasty water. When the scientists separated croc blood into components and tested against bacteria that effect humans, the croc antibacterial component wiped out the bacteria.

I haven't heard any more about it.

I know you weren't serious - I was just venting my disgust at such a shocking movie! :) Didn't mean to attack your comment...

PK, I'm in my second year of Marine Science and as yet have not decided on my specialty:confused: . I'm hoping I'll fall into some area of pelagic research, maybe sharks, but I also love dugongs, so I'll just have to wait and see!

However, I have been training volunteers for the Reef Check Program - we instruct divers on correct methods for monitoring of reefs for damage/changes such as bleaching, anchor damage, noticeable lack of invertebrates and curio, pelagic numbers, and loads more. Its all volunteer (ie self-funded) and its been a load of fun as well as a great way to learn things with out being stuck in a lecture for hours!! Also, with the generosity of dive resorts/shops in Nth Qld it has enabled me to go out to lots of beautiful reefs that would normally cost a fortune!

Oh such a hard life being a student!

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom