Cave 1 Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PA/NJdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently completed my Cave 1 class taught by Tyler Moon in High Springs, Florida. The class was fantastic! I never thought I would have so much fun in a cave class. There were only two of us in the class, which was really nice. I found out that I like two person teams better than three person teams.

On day 1, we started off with a lecture and then moved into gear configuration. Both my buddy and I were set with our gear configurations. We did review the why’s about gear configuration. One thing I want to point out is that it doesn’t matter what color or brand of gear you use (except for bungie wings). This is not what DIR is about. It’s about why we use the configuration we do.

After the gear configuration review, we did some line drills.

Day 2 was spent at Ginnie Springs. We started the day with more line drills – following the line, crossing the line, touch contact, etc.

We then did a dive in Ginnie cavern and basin. The first dive was demonstrating different types of kicks in the cavern. Our next dive was for one of us to run the reel into the cavern. I volunteered to do this since I knew this was going to be a weakness of mine. After this dive, we had to follow a line run by Tyler around Ginnie basin. The first time we had to follow the line with our eyes closed, then no mask (eyes closed again for me because I wear contacts) and then air sharing with eyes closed.

Day 3 was back at Ginnie. This time we would be diving the Devil’s system. I was both nervous and excited. I know the flow is strong, and I was a little nervous about that. Tyler ran the reel the first time into the ear. My initial thought trying to get into the Ear was what the hell was I doing?? This is nuts!!! But after I finally made it in and relaxed, we swam to the Lips. I thought it was very cool! I couldn’t believe how comfortable I felt.

On our second dive, my buddy ran the reel, and we went to the Lips again. During our debriefing, Tyler gave us some hints about diving in here with the flow so this dive went much better. On our third dive, I ran the reel. I had some problems with the reel and the current, but managed to do it. BTW, on the way in, the dives are ours, but on the way out, anything can mysteriously happen:) We did a couple of drills on our dives (I’ll keep you guessing on these; I wouldn’t want to spoil the surprise if others are thinking of taking this class:)) and that was the end of day 3.

On day 4, we went to Peacock 1. I love this system!!! There was no flow. I forgot to mention that at this point, my fingertips on both hands were so sore from pulling and gliding in the Devil’s system that I was so happy to be in a system that I didn’t have to pull myself into:) (I learned after my first day of diving that I was pulling incorrectly, but the damage was already done.) Our first dive was to Pothole. I thought that was an excellent dive. Again, we did some drills, ended the dive, and debriefed.

Our second dive was to the Peanut tunnel. I had seen video before of the Peanut tunnel, and I was a little nervous about this. But when I got there, I couldn’t believe it. The tunnel was bigger than I thought! We made it to the Breakdown Room. I loved this dive as well. It was my favorite of all the dives I did. When we turned this dive, we did the no lights, OOA drill. I loved it!! I felt so relaxed doing this drill even going through the Peanut Tunnel that it really surprised me. I hope I can remain this calm and relaxed if the s*** ever really hits the fan:)

Our last day was back at the Devil’s system. My fingertips now are pretty much raw. It’s amazing the stuff you can do with just your thumb and pinky! We had another diver with us on our dives so that we could have the experience of diving in a three person team. And did I learn a lot on these dives!!! I don’t want to ruin the experience for others, but I did learn quite a bit. Our last dives were through the Eye. I like going through the Eye better than the Ear even though it takes longer to make it to the mainline:) (I think when I gain more experience this may change, but for now, I like the Eye.)

Tyler is an excellent instructor. He is very relaxed and laid back. He thoroughly explained to us in class and at the dive site how each drill was going to go. There was never any question on what to expect during a drill. During our debriefings, Tyler never made me feel like I was an idiot for anything I did incorrectly or could have done differently. I was much harder on myself than Tyler ever was.

I was able to do four “fun” dives after the class (two at Peacock and two at Ginnie), and I can’t wait to go back and do more and then take Cave 2. I’m another diver crossing over to the dark side.

Stacey

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am looking forward to taking the class and the reports are a great help for my prep.

Good luck on your diving.

Chad

Thanks for the report!!

I am really drawn toward cave diving. But didn't think it was practical living in New York. figured I train toward wreck penetration, hoping I could get the same feelings/ enjoyment there.

So how do you manage????
A lot of trips to Florida????

As a matter of fact I am flying down again on Saturday for a day or 2 more of diving. I am considering the possibility of moving there. I also figured the skills I learned in the class can enhance the diving I do up here.
Stacey

One of my instructor/freinds just completed his cave training this week. I'm looking forward to watching his video tommoro night. There was a spot open in his class, He asked if I wanted it, Guess my timing is off. (work and stuff) :huh:

I'd like to do the cave training but, It won't be in the near future.
:(

Maybe next year.

Tyler is a good guy. My buddy did NSS Intro with him about 5ish years ago. Tyler is laid back for sure with a good attitude. He also sits on the NSSCDS Training Committee and has both agencies at heart.

Sounds like you had a good time. Cave diving is very addictive, as you have just witnessed. Soon you will be contemplating quiting your job and moving to Luraville/High Springs and becoming a poor dive bum. Now if I could just talk the girlfriend into it....

Stacey,

Cave training is excellent for wreck diving. The kicks, line use, etc. Welcome to the addiction. Now, If I could only get down there more.

Eric

JamesK once bubbled...
Sounds like you had a good time. Soon you will be contemplating quiting your job and moving to Luraville/High Springs and becoming a poor dive bum. Now if I could just talk the girlfriend into it....

Actually, I had a great time! I can't wait to go back. And I'm already thinking about becoming a poor dive bum and moving to the High Springs area. I'm not so sure about the Luraville area:wink:

Stacey

You wouldn't be the first person to move to cave country and be a dive bum

:spider:

Sometimes you can't escape the web

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom