Is there a class or series of classes I can take to learn to maintain/service my own

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

batmanusa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all, Is there a class or series of classes I can take to learn to maintain/service my own regulators? I use the Poseidon Extreme Deep 90 and the Cyclone to back it up, love them both. I feel very uncomfortable not knowing everything I can about a piece of life support equipment. Since childhood I’ve been able to govern my own equipment. At least I should be able to hold a technically intelligent conversation with an industry professional about a piece of equipment I literally trust with my life every time I dive. Look, I’m not unhappy with my reg technician; quite the contrary, he’s great. I pick his brain as much as I can and still be respectful of his time. When I want to know about my car I get the shop manual, study it, and refer to it. If I want anything done I’m not comfortable doing, I take it to a professional I trust. In this case I know what needs to be done even if I lack the skill or experience to do it myself. The detail of the shop manual allows me to better understand my property. Where can I acquire this kind of knowledge about my regulators?
Thanks.
Bat
user_online.gif

batmanusa:
Hello all, Is there a class or series of classes I can take to learn to maintain/service my own regulators? I use the Poseidon Extreme Deep 90 and the Cyclone to back it up, love them both. I feel very uncomfortable not knowing everything I can about a piece of life support equipment. Since childhood I’ve been able to govern my own equipment. At least I should be able to hold a technically intelligent conversation with an industry professional about a piece of equipment I literally trust with my life every time I dive. Look, I’m not unhappy with my reg technician; quite the contrary, he’s great. I pick his brain as much as I can and still be respectful of his time. When I want to know about my car I get the shop manual, study it, and refer to it. If I want anything done I’m not comfortable doing, I take it to a professional I trust. In this case I know what needs to be done even if I lack the skill or experience to do it myself. The detail of the shop manual allows me to better understand my property. Where can I acquire this kind of knowledge about my regulators?
Thanks.
Bat
user_online.gif

Come to Florida, do some wreck diving here in SE FL, and take the class w/ Rudy Mola at Diving Technologies. Then it's all tax deductible if you're in the scuba business in any way.

Buy this book

http://www.scubatools.com/RegSavvy.html#anRegSavvy

and two cheap beat up regulators off ebay or where ever, one piston first stage and one diaphragm first stage and have fun. Getting parts is the hardest thing about doing your own but 99% of the time only a cleaning and O rings replacement is needed.

Virginia Scuba offers scuba technician classes over the winter or upon request - you can call out and talk to Mark about them. In these classes you learn to service basic scuba gear - the reg class covers piston and diaphram regs, but not Poseidons specifically. I will tell you that Poseidons are are a little more complicated to service/tune than most brands. The Poseidon Canada website has some pretty good basic info about Poseidons and a great overview of Poseidon history. If all you want is general understanding of how your poseidons work, you can stop in and talk with me personally. I do most of the Poseidon service at VA Scuba and would be happy to go over them with you.

Jackie Cooper

Thanks again for every reply. All are helpful. Jackie Cooper of VA Scuba your offer is most gracious and I appreciate it. Is there a Poseidon specific service/maintenance class? There must be. I am associated in good standing with my local dive shop. I will teach an OWD class there from time to time. The shop does not carry Poseidon so, no technician. Is DEMA the only option? And how many hours should I expect to complete the course? Thanks again
Bat

batmanusa:
Thanks again for every reply. All are helpful. Jackie Cooper of VA Scuba your offer is most gracious and I appreciate it. Is there a Poseidon specific service/maintenance class? There must be. I am associated in good standing with my local dive shop. I will teach an OWD class there from time to time. The shop does not carry Poseidon so, no technician. Is DEMA the only option? And how many hours should I expect to complete the course? Thanks again
Bat

To get into the manufacturer specific DEMA classes you must be sponsored by a dealer for that manufacturer. When we host manufacturer specific classes at the shop (class size depends on the manufacturer), we open them up to our shop staff first, then our instructors/divemasters, then our regular customers that own that brand, and then, if there is still room, we may open them to the general public. Our Dive Rite seminar earlier this year was opened up to the public. We do not currently have any Poseidon classes scheduled.

Hoyden:
To get into the manufacturer specific DEMA classes you must be sponsored by a dealer for that manufacturer. When we host manufacturer specific classes at the shop (class size depends on the manufacturer), we open them up to our shop staff first, then our instructors/divemasters, then our regular customers that own that brand, and then, if there is still room, we may open them to the general public. Our Dive Rite seminar earlier this year was opened up to the public. We do not currently have any Poseidon classes scheduled.

The information you’ve provided is very useful,thanks. Leaning on your experience with Poseidon, how difficult is it to find and enroll in such a class here in the states?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom