Surfers blockade Superferry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Seems the surfers were making a stand against the Superferry landing at Kauai.
When I was there last November everyone I spoke to about the SF, did not like the idea and hoped it would not happen. I looks the local surfers were making a statement in a way that guaranteed press coverage.

I personally like the idea of having the convenience of staying in Honolulu and visiting the islands in one rental car and not having to fly. I hope the SF does not do the environmental damage that some of the locals in Kauai believe it will.

Press Story
http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=6151

Dave

Amusing they have no objections to the sewage-spewing cruise ships. Selective outrage...........

Practically, I don't think there's much difference between the SF and interisland barges. One could even make the argument that barges are worse because the slow speeds may improve chances for hitchhikers to hang on.

OTOH, there's a sad undercurrent of localism/turf to this. In specific reference to the SF, several fisherman friends have expressed concerns about "mo' guys coming in hea". I hear the same thing said among surfers. This is not new. Oahu hunters have a poor reputation on the neighbor islands; too noisy, too trigger-happy, lousy shots. Same with rude driving. I understand this but have no solution except to respect and be circumspect about one's responsibility as a guest -- an attitude to show-off how "we do things downtown" is the sure way to pick a fight....

lol--yea, I was glad I was not on that ride.
made the national news on Fox, I see.
Im mostly concerned about the high speed and calving or nursing whales and turtles getting hit. I guess the fuel economy/ global warming impact of jet service is the flip side.

Lopaka:
Amusing they have no objections to the sewage-spewing cruise ships. Selective outrage...........

No kidding. Talk about misplaced priorities.:whack:

The Cruise ships are required to opperate within the law, unlike Hawaii Superferry (HSF). Years ago the Governor ignored both a Federal and a State requirement for Environmental Assesment (EA) of HSF. The recent State Supreme Court ruling went beyond the scope of the apeal to decide the EA is required. If the EA determines that the HSF has no signifigant impact, they may proceed. If no signifigant impact is not the determination, an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) must be done. That is the law!

The brass at HSF knew they were required to at least do an EA, but instead they used their US Gov connections to get Lingle's end run around the law. Then they pushed up start date so they could start before the Supreme Court ruling causes an injunction shutting them down until the EA is done. I suspect some of the vehicles on these initial voyages will be returning home on the barge.:shakehead:

There are plenty of Hawaii residents who are unhappy with the inadequate laws regarding pumping sewage from any ocean vessel. From tourist day charters to Air Craft Carriers, the laws are not strict enough. A major problem is even the current laws are very hard to enforce / not enforced.

When I worked on the Norwegian Star, every logo napkin and plastic glass was locked up before it reached Alaska. In Alaskan waters only plain generic non-logo napkins and plastic glasses are used, because if any trash/sewage ends up in the Inside Passage the ship will pay signifigant fines and possibly not be allowed back. Obviously, the ships try harder to be eco friendly there, but they also cover their backside with regard to inevitable violations.

Hopefully, the North West Hawaiian Islands Marine Reserve and Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary will come up with some long overdue regulations. Unfortunately the progress in that direction is glacial at best (pre-warming glacial).:shakehead:

Personally I find the HSF to be a welcome addition to transportation options... as long as this vessel can be operated in an environmentally safe manner. Cruise ships would seem to be a major issue compared to this one.

Here's another interesting development. A judge on Maui had required some lanes to be restriped. Now today he has added another requirement ---- that the ferry release only 2 cars per minute onto public highways!

Also this morning, Maui Circuit Judge Joel August required that the Superferry release no more than two vehicles a minute on the public road when it is unloading. The ruling amended August’s order Thursday that the Superferry take measures to lessen traffic problems caused by loading and unloading vehicles. Those measures included re-striping of the intersection near Pier II and requiring the state to manually control the traffic lights at the intersection one hour before docking and two hours after docking.

Today’s amended ruling also included a requirement that four police officers be present to control traffic during loading and unloading.
http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=6152

Did Kaanhumanu Ave and Puunene suddenly get smaller so that the judge had to add extra restrictions that weren't required earlier?

2 cars per minute --- you have to be kidding! That's a tiny fraction of the current traffic on these 4 lane roads.

Very interesting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom