Custom Wetsuit vs Off the Rack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BobArnold8265

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a new wetsuit. Considering the newer "stretchy" materials, do "off the rack" wetsuits fit better these days ?? Also, any recommendations on a place to get a good custom wetsuit and if you bought one were you happy with it ? Just fishing for ideas. Thanks.

Bob

Hey Bob,

"Off the Rack" wetsuits do fit alot better than in previous years. The new stretchy materials really do make a huge difference in fit and comfort. They essentially give you a "custom" suit at "off the rack" prices. Two suits that have been a huge sucess have been the Henderson Hyperstretch, and the Henderson Thermoprene. The Hyperstretch was the original stretchy suit introduced about 4 years ago. It stretches almost 250% and is by far the most flexible on the market. The new Thermoprene doens't stretch quite as much, but it is a little more durable, and should last a little longer. Now would be a good time to get either suit, as the prices are likely to go up after the DEMA show.

Brad Ellis
DiveSports.com

off the rack are much better this age and are alot cheeper

It's all an individual situation. In my case, if the suit fit on the top, it diddn't on the bottom. I had absolutely no choice, I had to go custom. The stretchy material does make it easier for so many divers. You get to try it on and take it right with you. My custom suit is out of the new stretchy material. I got some things with my custom suit that I never would have gotten with a rack suit....wonderful color selection; extended wrist and leg zippers; one free alteration should I lose weight!!!; and most importanly, a supplier who will take care of any problems that should arise for the life of the suit.l I did pay slightly more for my suit, but really not that much more. One of these days, I'm going to take advantage of the free alteration....yes I am!!!!!

SWT

Remember that to be "stretchy" the material must be made of very flexible material. That means that it will not be able to resist the compresssive forces of diving as well. That is, it will not be as warm at depth. You need to weigh the pro's and con's. How important is being warm to you?

Off the rack because its cheaper for me. :shakehead: but it works so I'm not complaining :)

I'm pretty much an "off the rack" Men's Large but chose to go with the custom suit from AquaFlite. Ed Rogers makes a great suit for a reasonable price and stands behind it. It literally fits like a glove; kind of sucks you in and conforms to your shape. That's not as much of an issue with thinner suits, but once you get into 7mm, you want it to fit right. My Aquaflite 7mm full suit with Oceanliner has gone down to 53 degrees at depth without so much as a shiver.

Added benefit: No diver as billboard corporate logos anywhere on the suit. Just a little "Made in USA" tag.

If I had to compare an off the rack suit to a custom I would say that every time I have seen a custom suit it was always more "plain" than a rack suit (less stretch and frills). With that said, the custom suits always fit the person that purchased it, can't say that for a rack suit. The way I would choose is this: If a rack suit fits, then get one, it will be a nicer suit for less money. If you can't find a rack suit that fits than a custom suit will make you a lot happier and keep you warmer.

A stretch suit is a compromise just so you know. The warmth and durability are not on par with the conventional materials. Pay your money take your choice.

Unless you have a local neoprene tailor I'd go off the rack hand's down. My wife is not an off the rack gal and custom suits enable her to dive. The downside is that everyone of them has been a problem child with things done wrong, not measured right (by pros) going back for alterations or remade. One set got scrapped and we were left with a refund when she needed a suit! The next company made the suit the wrong thickness. If you can walk out of a shop with the suit you want fitting the way it should you are done, end of game bada bing bada boom.

If you are not an off the rack person then go custom. Do not compromise fit. Allow time for a rework cycle and hope it goes smooth.

The features of custom suits vary from being on par with the off the rack to being spartan with no seals, little Velcro tabs simplistic patterns so be sure to ask. Often you are dealing long distance with minimal info.

Don't worry about giving up the "pre-bent" feature many brands tout. The custom suit will soon assume the divers contours if you dive regularly.

Cost of a custom is on par with a quality off the rack suit so don't sweat that.

Good luck,
Pete

I have over 400 dives on my "stretch suit" from Liquid Fit. I haven't noticed any ccmpromise with the material, warmth or durabililty. As far as measuring for a custom suit, you most definitely do have to be dedicated to doing it correctly. If you're careful and pay attention to what you're doing, there shouldn't be a problem. The key is PAY ATTENTION!!! I had to have some very minor alaterations done on my first suit, but it came back to me fitting like a glove. If you feel uncomfortable doing the measuring, then hire a seamstress to help you out. I actually thought of doing this and found one gal who would do the measuring for $10. Carolyn, the owner of Liquid Fit, was willing to be on the phone with us for the entire measuring. She was very, very patient and stayed on the phone with us for almost an hour.
I agree if you can fit into a rack suit, then why on earth would you put yourself through this process???? For those of us who simply would not be able to dive without a custom suit, thank God there are some very reputable companies out there.
Whatever it takes, get yourself a good suit and JUMP INTO THE WATER!!!!!
SWT

Back
Top Bottom