Cave 1 Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lucid

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a silly question about the 300 yard in 12 min swim that is required for Cave 1. I am very comfortable in water and have no problem with my very own modified breast stroke like swimming style. I just don't know if that will cut it. 300 yards doesn't seem like much but I have never swimmed a measured distance. For you Cave 1 grads;

1) Was it a difficult swim? How would your rate yourself as a swimmer.
2) Did you practice before hand?
3) Do they require that you swim a certain stroke.

I wanna know now so that I can prepare for the class in a couple of months.

Go to your local Y or health club and start swimming. Good for the SAC rate and leg muscles. A pool is usually 25 yards or 25 meters. So 300 would be 12 laps of continous swimming. Go with the Crawl (Freestyle).

Eric

lucid once bubbled...
I have a silly question about the 300 yard in 12 min swim that is required for Cave 1. I am very comfortable in water and have no problem with my very own modified breast stroke like swimming style. I just don't know if that will cut it. 300 yards doesn't seem like much but I have never swimmed a measured distance. For you Cave 1 grads;

1) Was it a difficult swim? How would your rate yourself as a swimmer.
2) Did you practice before hand?
3) Do they require that you swim a certain stroke.

I wanna know now so that I can prepare for the class in a couple of months.

The swim wasn't difficult at all. The difficult part was getting in 72 degree water when you are used to swimming in much warmer water:(

I did practice at a local high school pool for several months and also did (& continue to do) other cardio work at a gym. I would say that I'm very comfortable swimming.

I didn't have to swim a particular stroke, but I would check with your instructor. I was allowed to use the stroke I felt comfortable with (the crawl stroke).

Stacey

I think I'm gonna put off the class for a couple of months and work on getting in better shape. I have never really been a form swimmer so I have some work to do. I might even take some lessons to learn correct form and all of that Jaz.

Thanks for you input.

a swimming coach can help you with form and efficiency. I've never used one myself, but I've been told this a zillion times and can pass it on.....

Gotta agree that practice and good form are the keys to success. Going 300 yards in 12 minutes or less should be a cakewalk for anyone who is in decent shape, loves the water, and who uses good form. In my class, all three of us did it in eight minutes or less without any exertion. Not that it was discussed on-site, but refer to the standards and note that they require a continuous swim, no stopping. A particular stroke is not mentioned in the standards, but freestyle is what I recommend.

You are smart to spend just a few sessions/hours with a lifeguard or coach who can give you tips for improvement. Before you know it, you'll love swimming laps far beyond 300 yards and the Cave 1 swim will be an afterthought. Best of luck.

Also the Cave 1 swim is not in a pool. It's at Ginnie Springs from the steps to the ball above Devil's Ear. Not sure how many laps but I know several people who've done it and said it wasn't that hard. If you practice some before hand and aren't in terribly bad shape it shouldn't be too hard.

One person told me the hardest part was avoiding all the drunken tube riders. Not much of a problem in the winter months though. :wink:

WYDT once bubbled...
Also the Cave 1 swim is not in a pool. It's at Ginnie Springs from the steps to the ball above Devil's Ear. Not sure how many laps

Just FYI, Swim from the first set of stairs at the end of spring run, to the mooring ball in the ear, swim back to the first set of stairs, then to the morring ball, then to the second set of stairs across from the eye (there are two sets of stairs there right? (closest to the eye and ear?).

The swim wasn't too bad for me. I consider myself in reasonable shape, but certainly not a swimmer. The Tech 1 swim in a pool was much easier though.

--Pat

A couple of us started a group for the very same reasons you posted the question. Maybe you can join us some time for a swim. We are meeting this Sunday at 10 AM in Ft. Lauderdale for a fitness swim. Afterwards some lunch next to Brownie's and then some people will head out for a boat dive, others for a shore dive and some will play with gear.

Here is some info on the group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SFL-DIR/

There are some pictures of the group available for viewing. (I think you have to be signed in to yahoogroups to view them)

You can also see our swim times and distances in the files section. As you can see there is some variety on the team.

Anyone interested in DIR is welcome to attend and participate regardless of training and experience.

For details you can contact the Team at SFL-DIR-owner@yahoogroups.com

If you would like more info on DIR and Training check out GUE.

www.gue.com

SFL-DIR has 4 goals:
1-Teamwork
2-Fitness
3-Equipment
4-Practice, Practice, Practice

To join:
Participation in a monthly Meet-Swim is required.

Upcoming events:

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
SUNDAY,Feb 2, 2003 10:00 AM
Meet at International Swimming Pool Hall of Fame
http://www.ishof.org/

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
SUNDAY,March 2, 2003 10:00 AM
Meet at International Swimming Pool Hall of Fame
http://www.ishof.org/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back