bummed ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Monday I'm signed up to do my first road race since 1980 ... a 4.25 mile charity run for the Puget Sound Blood Center. I signed up for it in June, as an incentive to help keep me motivated to exercising and working on my weight.

The past few weeks I've been running around this lake near my home ... it's a three-mile loop with a lot of hills. At first it was really hard ... those hills can really take a toll. Then, a couple weeks ago, I started (for the first time) having issues with shin splints. I still don't know why ... haven't been doing anything different than I'd been doing all summer. But suddenly I was unable to complete even the shorter, 2.4 mile course I'd been doing weeks earlier. So I laid off a bit on the running, to give my legs a chance to rest. Instead I concentrated on biking and going on day hikes.

Tuesday I figured I'd give the round-the-lake run another try. My two weeks of taking it easy seemed to pay off, as I was hitting my milestones in really good time. One thing I hadn't been able to do yet was to complete the loop in 30 minutes ... usually takes me somewhere between 32 and 34, depending on how I'm feeling. But as I'm coming down that last hill, with the end point in sight, I looked at my watch and realized I could just about make it ... so I picked up the pace just a bit. A few seconds later, I felt a sharp pain in my leg ... just back of my calf. I finished the course right at 30 minutes, and did my 5 minute cool-down walk. The pain never went away, but didn't seem too bad ... till about an hour later. Then I couldn't even walk without a noticeable limp.

It's been two days now, and doesn't appear to be getting any better. The race is Monday ... something tells me I ain't gonna be doing it. I don't think I could walk 4.25 miles right now, much less run it.

Maybe this belongs in W&C ... but I'm pretty bummed. I've been working hard to do this race. I didn't expect to do all that well anyway ... but I really wanted to just be able to cross the finish line ... would've been an accomplishment for an old, fat guy who's trying to get in better shape.

Oh well ... next one's in December ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

I used to run 10K and had chronic problems with hamstrings. You do need rest days to recover and it sounds like you pushed yourself a bit too hard on your last run when you picked up the pace at the end.

Are you wearing the right shoes for your type of foot - whether you overpronate or have high arches? I went through many different brands of shoes before I found the perfect one for me.

It is a real bummer not being able to race when you've trained. Been there. :hug:

You are planning to see the doctor about your injury, yes?

Bummer Bob. My running days are long over. Too many injuries. I now bike or do the elliptical at the gym, or swim.

Sorry to hear that. Get well soon.

I find that I can run faster/longer/better if 1) I don't run everyday so that I give myself a chance to heal 2) eat a diet high in protein 3) bike on off days for much longer than I plan to run.

That being said, your post inspired me- gotta run!

Bob,

See a sports injury doctor. Astonishing as it may sound, guys our age don't heal like guys 30 years younger than us. If you want the best chances of recovery as soon as is safe, and want to prevent future injuries, a visit to a sports doc and/or PT might be a good idea.

FWIW.

(I'm also trying to stay in shape.....)

Doc

Sorry about missing your race!

I have pretty much given up on running except as a fitness-gauge. I swim, bike and play a few sports but running regularly just kills my knees...

Something I´ve noticed is that when I push myself for speed or keep running when I´m very tired is that the muscles around the knee stop "softening the impact" and the knee takes all the abuse...maybe something similar happend to you?

Well, I gave it the o'l college try. Got up this morning and it felt kind've OK ... so I put some linament on it, wrapped it with an ace bandage and went for it.

Figured I'd start out slow, and give it a chance to stretch out good. After about a quarter mile or so, picked up to my normal pace ... it wasn't feeling great, but tolerable. Did the first mile in about nine and a half minutes ... not bad for a slow start. Unfortunately, about a half-mile later it gave out on me ... I ended up "walking" the rest of the course.

Finished with the fat folks and some pregnant lady pushing a baby stroller. Very disappointing ... but on the bright side, last year I watched Cheng do this race. This year at least I crossed the finish line. Next year ... who knows.

I'll try for another race in December. For now I'm gonna sit out running for two or three weeks and concentrate on the bike. Doesn't seem to bother me when I peddle (oh ... and diving seems downright therapeutic) ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Speaking of guys our age, (I'm 47) here's my formula. I work out 5-6 times a week, always including at least a half hour of elliptical trainer, which is easier on my knees. Immediately after every workout, I apply bags of frozen peas to my knees, shoulders, and occasionally my left heel (plantar fasciitis.) This speeds my recovery time, along with prophylactic ibuprofen, and I haven't had any significant injury down-time for the past year or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom