question about carrying a pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bruce3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
ok i read that people who use pony bottles should pressurize the system and then turn the valve off. so when you deploy it you would have to re open the valve. my question is if you do this and your reg on your pony free flows would this allow water enter into your first stage and eventually your second? given that the free flow is to the point where it totally depressurizes the system while your valve is still closed.

You have your stages mixed up. First stage is the one on the tank, second is the one in your mouth. Water would enter the second first, if it entered anything, unless you had some huge problem on your first stage, like if it blew up or something (which has happened....)

I don't think there would be any problem with it though, I doubt water would enter it unless something was forcefully holding the purge button down, becuase otherwise it would freeflow until the pressure was enough to reclose the valve, at which point it would stop, and would not let water in.

i was wonder about the water entering your first stage where the o ring hits the valve. i actually didnt even think about water coming up your 2nd.

Bruce3:
i was wonder about the water entering your first stage where the o ring hits the valve. i actually didnt even think about water coming up your 2nd.

If you pressurize it and turn the valve off, water can't get in I don't think.

yeah, if it's pressurized, you should be okay. I guess it's a good idea to do this so you don't empty your pony with a freeflow, but I dive mine wide open.

I don't think thereis any chance of water leaking in through the first stage connection. The yoke first stage should be attached just tightly enough to prevent that from hapenning.

If you are really worried about it convert everything to 200 bar din, which I think might be more "leakproof."

yeah my pony is going to have a thermo valve on it and im going to run din. hockey nut and bolantej please read OP

I think (I could be wrong) people turn the valve back off to prevent it from free flowing and emptying.

When I sling my 40cf bottle, I leave it turned on.

Bruce3:

Think of it this way, if that connection can hold in 3000 plus PSI of air, it can hold out 70ish PSI of water no prob.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom