Anyone own a Pinnacle Wetsuit ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BobArnold8265

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

As I have mentioned in a previous posting, my Wife and I are thinking about buying new wetsuits in the very near future. Does anyone have any experience with the Pinnacle brand ??? They seem very nice but are a bit on the pricey side. I was curious if you folks who own them think they are worth the price. I know they have gotten some good reviews in several Dive Mags but I'd like to hear from the folks who actually dive in them. Do they keep you warm ? Are they durable ? Is the Merino lining worth the extra bucks over the "regular" elastriprene ? Are the easy to get on and off ???

Like everyone else, I'm looking for a suit that fits well, is comfortable, keeps me (and more improtantly my Wife) warm and will also last for many years. I'd appreciate your comments and advice.

Bob

Highest quality wetsuits I have ever seen or owned. My wife and I own 3mm, 5mm, and 7mm's and they are fantastic. That is me in the 5mm in my avatar.

I have the Fusion 4/5mm suit, and I LOVE it. The manufacturing quality is phenomenal, it's very comfortable, and by far the warmest suit I've ever used. I used my 4/5 with a core warmer underneath to do an ice dive back in Feb. I am currently saving up to buy a Pinnacle drysuit, and if I need another wetsuit I personally won't look any farther than Pinnacle.

Jim

well, i have one-piece pinnacle arctic 7 mm + hooded vest (7mm hood and 3 mm vest) + boots + gloves. the cold water enters through the neck area/upper back and hood is a bit thin on the forehead, so in +10 C (50 F) and below my forehead freezes and I don't enjoy the dive. I'd try different brand hoods for sure. overall quality looks good. now boots (i have 7 mm with hard sole)... water definitely enters through the zippers but it's not a big deal. I bought henderson with hard sole also in 7 mm (forgot to take my pinnacle boots for a dive trip so had to buy smth else) and no water enters through which was nice HOWEVER henderson boots are too flimsy, i liked pinnacle's firmness lot more. if you don't have to walk on rocks, then i'd advise against pinnacle boots.
gloves... i have 5 mm with some kelvar material on fingers and palm. not to happy about it, water gets through. my buddy is super happy about his henderson gloves.
i'm very skinny (144 lbs and ~5'8") so i get cold easily and particularly sensitive to the forehead. Also, i dive in cold water. i can dive comfortably in my pinnacle stuff if it's above +12 C and freeze if it's below 10 C. if i had to change smth - i'd get a better hood and gloves.
edit: some typos

I own a 3mm Seal (with Merino) and a 7mm Cruiser (without Merino) and love them both. Get the Merino lining if you can afford it. If not, it's still a great suit, very well made.

The Elastiprene has nothing to do with the Merino lining, it's their version of stretchy neoprene. You can get the Elastiprene line of suits with or without Merino. Both are my suits are standard neoprene and they fit great, which was my primary reason for choosing Pinnacle in the first place. That and the quality.

I got a Pinnacle Seal (3mm) wetsuit. I love diving with it but after about 5 dives there was a hole from some defective stitching. I called up Pinnacle and sent the suit in to be repaired. I talked to the LDS and I was the first person from their shop to have this problem so I'll chalk it up as a random error. The suit is very warm and fits really well, I will definitely look at Pinnacle when I get my next suit!

wkowalski:
How cool of water would you use the 5/4 Fusion?

You mean voluntarily or because my drysuit hasn't shown up yet? :D I did the ice dive in 36 degrees for 20 minutes, I have done multiple mid 40's dives for more than that length of time. For 20 to 30 minutes it's fine for me, it tends to be the undressing after the dive that I can't tolerate. It is a very warm suit (I do put a core warmer underneath when diving sub 50's) but you wouldn't want to be doing deco stops and hanging in the water for long in that sort of temp.

Jim

wkowalski:
How cool of water would you use the 5/4 Fusion?
I own an arctic.. 7/5.. nicely made suit, but not warmer than any well fitting 7/5. The wool makes putting the suit on nice, forget all the other hype. My 7/5 with hood is cold at 60 ft in 60 degree water. My O'neal 7mm is not. The thinner arms are the issue.

The Pinnacle boots are wonderful boots, big.. somewhat clunky and really comfortable.. my favorite.

I own 11 suits, and fit is by far the most important thing, if you are a perfect model shape, then standard material works great, if not, the the super stretch stuff is worth the money, both from a comfort and warmth point of view.

I like the outside material on Pinnacle suits.. the toughest I have seen.

a 5/4 is somewhat of a stepchild suit.. too warm for warm water, not warm enough for anything cold...I own one, but it was the last suit I got.

Back
Top Bottom