Hurricane Manual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zen_man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought an RG3500 a few months back and I didn't get a manual. I have search for a Service Manual and can only find one for the RG2500. In fact, I haven't even seen a user's manual.

I was just curious if there is one, and if so, how would I get one? I'm looking specifically more for a service manual.

Thanks,
Buck

Thank you Kathleen,

I'm not sure how I missed it last time I checked your site. Oh well :D

I love the Hurricane! It breathes like a dream. When my wife and I were in Hawaii a few weeks ago, I had to cancel on one of the dive trips and let her use the reg.

She came back and immediately said, "I...WANT...one of those regulators!"
So, I'm sure we'll be adding another to the family. We mostly dive in Monterey and I am very happy with the performance. I remember doing a current dive in a local river here and I started breathing pretty hard on the reg and it didn't miss a beat!

Hi Buck,

Great to hear that you are enjoying the Hurricane. I was lucky enough to test one of the beta models and I am a hard sell...I tend to like my gear and I am not very open to change. Well, to say the least, I didn't ever give the beta version of the Hurricane back to R&D! I dive in heavy flow and I have never had a free flow, yet.

For single tank diving, I put a 40" hose on my primary regulator and added a right angle adapter between the secondary and the hose...I tuck the longer hose under my arm and the right angle adapter keeps the reg from pulling on my mouth, plus my hoses stay tucked and don't arc out from my head. It's a great set up and everyone else on the boat always asks me where I got my "different" reg set up.

Enjoy the reg and send us some pics of you guys diving it in Hawaii!

Kathleen

For single tank diving, I put a 40" hose on my primary regulator and added a right angle adapter between the secondary and the hose...I tuck the longer hose under my arm and the right angle adapter keeps the reg from pulling on my mouth, plus my hoses stay tucked and don't arc out from my head. It's a great set up and everyone else on the boat always asks me where I got my "different" reg set up.

Enjoy the reg and send us some pics of you guys diving it in Hawaii!

Kathleen

I'm very glad you brought that solution up. The only two issues I have had were the default hose it came with does tend to pull and I have looking at rerouting with a longer hose. The other issue, although minor and resolved, was the softness of the mouthpiece. It tore just after my fourth dive with it. I replaced it with a Comfo-Bite type and I like it a lot.

What kind of right angle adapter did you use? Does it affect the breathing efficiency of the reg at all?

And since we're talking:blinking: I also had to "flip" the first stage over because it was hitting the back of my head to where I couldn't look up when I'm in the water. I wear a TansPac and I kept thinking that the tank was too high or the BC was too high up on me. But I have had other divers familiar with DR look and they said it look like my fitting is correct. No biggy, I just thought I would mention it. I could try to take a pic and post it of the TransPac on me if needed or if you have any ideas, please let me know. It actually works just fine, so it doesn't matter if I just have to use the 1st stage setup that way.

Anyway, I will stop my rant and I will try to get some pics up soon of HI.

B.

What kind of right angle adapter did you use? Does it affect the breathing efficiency of the reg at all?
If you are going that route, I think the Zeagle 90* swivel elbow is the best, and I've owned pretty much all of them at one time or another. Kirby Morgan also makes one, almost as good but maybe a tad harder to find. The 40" hose is essential to getting the best routing under your right arm.

Any 360* swivel like Trident made (and subsequently recalled) is asking for serious trouble.

John

Thanks for the info John_B.

That was exactly one of the reasons I was asking. I remembered something about that. I do have a little concern about adding an "extra point of failure", but it sounds like a pretty streamline setup. I noticed there is one at DR Express. Is this a DR accessory? If so, how does that compare tot he Zeagle? Thanks again for the info.

Buck

That was exactly one of the reasons I was asking. I remembered something about that. I do have a little concern about adding an "extra point of failure", but it sounds like a pretty streamline setup. I noticed there is one at DR Express. Is this a DR accessory? If so, how does that compare tot he Zeagle? Thanks again for the info.

If you are talking about the "Second Stage Right-Angle Swivel" here, I don't believe that's actually a DR part (Mark at DRE sells some selected non-DR stuff where there is no DR equivalent). Based on the picture and the price ($55) my educated guess is that is the Kirby Morgan 90° version that I had once. The KM is fine, IIRC its actually a part that originally was made for their full face mask. I just like the Zeagle design a little better (and its +/- half the price of the KM). YMMV.

As for failure point... Your second stage already has a swivel that allows the mouthpiece to pivot up or down, with a 90° swivel elbow you are adding a second, almost identical pivot left or right. The Zeagle or KM is easily as secure as the internal pivot every second stage has, and yet you are adding one more o-ring... However, that 90° is really almost mandatory to be able to comfortably route the primary reg under your right arm and have the backup reg bungeed under your chin. IMO it beats the primary/octopus configuration by a mile.

In the end I'm torn on the subject. A buddy and I both used the 90° swivel elbows for the better part of a year. After learning s-drills (DIR) I didn't think the elbow was the best solution for the type of diving that I was working towards. I now mostly use the long hose with a bungeed backup instead, though ironically I did break out the 40"/90° swivel elbow gearing up for a OW-type dive last weekend (that ultimately didn't happen).

Check my gallery, I have a couple of pics of the Zeagle elbow, one on a 40" with an Apeks reg and one with just the elbow and hose. Either the Zeagle 90° or the KM would work fine with that DR Hurricane reg.

HTH

John

All good points. Yes, I monkeyed with my first stage and I lie it sideways and route my hoses downward. The Right Angle Adapter is here: http://www.diverite.com/catalog/regulators/accessories/rg1350

I need to get pics of it on the reg and a pic of the hose routing on the website. Anyway, it fits between the second stage that you put in your mouth and the hose that routes to the second stage. It is firm and does not flop like some adapters I have seen. It routes the hose down from your mouth, under your arm and back up to the tank valve. It is pretty sweet!

:) Kathleen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom