Cobra Battery replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
How hard is it to replace the battery in a Sunnto Cobra? Is it something one can do themselves or does the LDS have to get their hands into it?

Thanks

AquaGuy

You can do it yourself. Or you can get the battery from the lds. There is three way to look at this you can save some $ by buying the battery and doing it yourself. And not sealing the thing right and flooding it. And eating the coast of repairs. Or you can let your lds. Do it and if it floods they pay for the repairs. Or you can send it to sunnto and they will go threw it and reseal it like it should be done. This is my 2 cents

Most of the LDS's won't do the replacement for you because of the perpensity of leaks and having to bite the cost of repair/replacement. Best bet is to send it in to Suunto to have it done. If they mess it up, you get a new computer. Happened with my husband's Stinger. Sent it back for a battery replacement, it came back even more dorked up, so Aqualung sent it to Suunto for real repair. I'd rather be without it for a few weeks and have it done properly with the opprotunity to get it replaced free, then to argue over it with an upset LDS that really tried their best to help the customer out.

If you are reasonably handy with a screwdriver you can easily change it yourself. There is an o-ring that seals the battery opening but it is not rocket science.

You can buy the battery with a replacement gasket from Suunto, P/N 413194 Kit battery, Vyper or just buy the 3 V lithium battery P/N CR2450N for half the cost. I carry a spare battery in my save a dive kit and would even change it out on a dive boat if required.

Mike

My battery died on a liveaboard last August. You have to take the boot off - 3 or 4 screws - then unscrew the battery cover. If I remember right there was a plastic ring with tabs holding the battery in place that you turn to release the battery as well.

Once you put the new battery in don't forget to set the date!!! Yeah, I didn't think about it until I was logging the dive.

None of my dive log info was lost. At the time I had about 60 dives logged on the Cobra.

Back
Top Bottom