90L, 91L, 92L (Humberto?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont

Contributor
Reaction score
quite a bit of nascent activity in the atlantic and gulf right now.

91L seems to have the most potential for development:

WunderBlog:
Gulf of Mexico disturbance (90L)
An area of disturbed weather developed in the southern Gulf of Mexico last night, just north of the Yucatan Peninsula. This region was designated "90L" by NHC. Strong upper level winds from the north are creating about 15-20 knots of wind shear over the region, and this shear is expected to remain a rather high 15-25 knots through Monday afternoon. By Monday night, the shear is expected to drop below 10 knots, which may allow some development of 90L. The system is headed west-northwest towards Texas, and residents of Texas, northern Mexico, and Louisiana should monitor this system. None of the reliable hurricane genesis models develop 90L into a tropical depression.

Tropical wave off the coast of Africa (91L)
A strong tropical wave near 10N 34W, a few hundred miles southwest of the Cape Verdes Islands off the coast of Africa, is kicking up some disorganized heavy thunderstorm activity. This disturbance was designated "91L" by NHC this morning. Last night's QuikSCAT pass showed a broad, ill-defined circulation associated with the disturbance. The disturbance is under about 10 knots of wind shear. Shear is forecast to remain below 10 knots over the disturbance over the next few days, and this system has the potential to develop as it heads west at 15 mph. Several of the computer models do develop this system, and predict that it may begin to acquire a more northwesterly track in response to a big non-tropical storm over the mid-Atlantic between Europe and the U.S. This disturbance has an environment similar to the one that spawned Hurricane Dean. The GFS-based SHIPS intensity model is forecasting that this will be a Category 1 hurricane 4-5 days from now, and I am expecting at least a tropical storm will form by then.

And nhc has this to say about 91L (W cape verde), 92L (E leeward isl) and 90L (gulf):

nhc:
A BROAD AREA OF LOW PRESSURE...ASSOCIATED WITH A TROPICAL WAVE...IS
LOCATED ABOUT 875 MILES WEST-SOUTHWEST OF THE CAPE VERDE ISLANDS
AND IS PRODUCING A LARGE AREA OF CLOUDINESS AND THUNDERSTORMS. THIS
SYSTEM HAS BECOME A LITTLE BETTER ORGANIZED THIS EVENING...AND IT
HAS THE POTENTIAL TO DEVELOP INTO A TROPICAL DEPRESSION DURING THE
NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS AS IT MOVES WESTWARD TO WEST-NORTHWESTWARD
AROUND 15 MPH.

SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ASSOCIATED WITH A TROPICAL WAVE A COUPLE
HUNDRED MILES EAST OF THE LEEWARD ISLANDS REMAIN MINIMAL THIS
EVENING. DEVELOPMENT...IF ANY...OF THIS SYSTEM IS EXPECTED
TO BE SLOW TO OCCUR AS IT MOVES WEST-NORTHWESTWARD AT ABOUT 15 MPH.
THIS WAVE COULD BRING SHOWER ACTIVITY TO THE LEEWARD ISLANDS DURING
THE NEXT DAY OR TWO.

DISORGANIZED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS OVER THE SOUTHERN GULF OF
MEXICO ARE ASSOCIATED WITH A WEAK SURFACE TROUGH AND AN UPPER-LEVEL
LOW. CONDITIONS DO NOT APPEAR TO BE FAVORABLE FOR SIGNIFICANT
DEVELOPMENT OF THIS SYSTEM AS IT MOVES WESTWARD OR WEST-
NORTHWESTWARD AT 10 TO 15 MPH OVER THE NEXT DAY OR TWO.

91L is looking like the most likely choice for Humberto, but shear seems to generally seem to be forecast to drop over all these systems and promote development... 92L looks like it may threaten florida if it develops...

As former hurricane Gabrielle drifts out into the cold North Atlantic as a weak Tropical Depression, it appears that I90 & I92 have both fizzled before becoming threats to Texas or Florida & nearyby islands. Looks like I91 is the only one to watch at the moment...

at200791_model.gif

What other sites besides the NHC and Weather Underground sites do you use for hurricane information? Since Dean, I've been paying more attention to such info.

:lol: Me, too!

At the time, I was not going to Underground, am now - along with NHC and maybe a heads-up from the Desktop Weather Channel.

:hmmm: I swear that I90 was not on the site this morning, but it is back on there now...?

at200790_model.gif

What are the chances of my Flower Garden trip on Sept 17-19 getting cancelled? I never paid much attention to these storms until they turned into hurricanes in the past. But Dean cancelled my original trip.
You new to this part of the US - want a weather forecast for Texas. :lol2:

Really, it looks like I90 has already passed over the FGs, if I understand where they are correctly. Looks like it'll be breaking up over Texas, New Mexico or Arkansas by then. Good luck...!!

I90 & I91 got upgraded to Tropical Deperessions...

This one could affect the Lessor Antilles this weekend...

at200708_5day.gif

And it looks like this one is coming ashore around Freeport!

at200709.gif

i was not expecting I90 to turn into Humberto.

it looks quite likely that I91/TD8 will become Ingrid, and most likely Hurricane Ingrid and a good chance of >= cat 3 by next week...

The models for TD 8 need to change! I am going to St. Thomas in two weeks so we need to tweak the parameters a bit and re-run :wink:.

I wish it were so simple. Alas, I can only hope that it either dwindles or blows on through!

The models for TD 8 need to change! I am going to St. Thomas in two weeks so we need to tweak the parameters a bit and re-run :wink:.

I wish it were so simple. Alas, I can only hope that it either dwindles or blows on through!
Yeah, we tend to think of how storms affect us personally. I do hope you have trip insurance already. Some companies won't cover you if you purchase after the storm is named, but some have a 15 day wait for coverage on an existing storm. Good to know your resources, in case something comes up. More so, it's good to have resources. If you don't have trip insurance, I'd get some ASAP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom