Schooner X

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox Junkie

Great Lakes diver
Reaction score
I am originally from Michigan and now reside in In
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This looks like it would be quite the dive. The Schooner X is located in Lake Erie off of long point Ontario.
It is in 165' of water.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

We have dove the Osborne up in lake Superior that is the same depth but it does not have the masts standing and rigging like the St James does. We have been planning to go but have not yet made it happen. I agree lets go..

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

Surely the bell or capstan cover or similar must still be there. Is it in a protected area?

WW

I think it is in pretty much open water but deep water which has helped it maintain its original shape. Being off of the North shore might be a factor.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

One of the Best wrecks in the lakes. Viz has been around 80' the times I have been on the St James. Another one you don't want to miss is the Straubenzie. It's a bit deeper but well worth it. The yawl boat is still there. http://members.rogers.com/longpoint/lpoint.htm
Check out that site for more pictures and information.
Safe Diving

That does look like a good wreck. To bad lake Erie has had such a bad time with all the zebras... Would be nice to dive on those wrecks today like the wrecks up in Lake Superior with no Zebras. That one also has the masts standing. That's nice to see.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

Live an hour and a half from Long Point!! The St. James is a fantastic dive. Unfortunately the aft mast is starting to list a little now:( !! This is one of the reason I got my trimix certification this like most of the deeper wrecks off Long Point are so worth the trip! If you guys want to do something from the 19 th century this is the place to do it. Thank good there is no salt in the great lakes:eek:ut: Hands off the artifacts please leave them for all of us to see!! Besides it is illegal in Canada to take anything from a ship wreck.

Len

ninja once bubbled...
Hands off the artifacts please leave them for all of us to see!! Besides it is illegal in Canada to take anything from a ship wreck.
Len

I remember hearing about a group of divers taking an anchor or something off of a wreck from Canadian waters and hauling it back towards Ohio on lake Erie. They were caught by the Coast Guard I think and paid dearly. They lost close to everything they had for a time. I think they got most of it back but not before they spent a boat load of cash in court. We would be all set if people would follow the hands off rule but I believe were P***ing into the wind on that one.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

[

QUOTE]Nitrox Junkie once bubbled...

I remember hearing about a group of divers taking an anchor or something off of a wreck from Canadian waters and hauling it back towards Ohio on lake Erie. They were caught by the Coast Guard I think and paid dearly. They lost close to everything they had for a time. I think they got most of it back but not before they spent a boat load of cash in court. We would be all set if people would follow the hands off rule but I believe were P***ing into the wind on that one.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"
[/QUOTE]

True enough Jeff!!

We can only hope people will follow a good code of ethics:wink:

Len

Back
Top Bottom