Oceanic computers, concerned?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaFlea

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for some advice. I've been diving for several years with an Oceanic Prodigy with no problems. But I need to upgrade to more modern / nitrox capable computer and had sold myself on the Oceanic Versa Pro. However, I've read several articles and read several post on the board that give me doubts as to the safety of the Oceanic algorithum. My profile; male, 42 yrs, good health, a bit over-weight, into reef photography, seldom dive deeper than 80 ft..
Even though my dive profiles are less stressful than most do you think I need to be concerned about a liberal algorithum like Oceanics? I have been impressed with the literature on Uwatec's SmartPro computer and more attention paid to microbubbles.

One side of me says "mid 40's, why not be a little more careful, you never know". Likewise I never felt as though the Oceanic was too liberal a computer till I compared it to some newer computers, ie. Suunto.

I would appreciate whatever thoughts you might have.

If you look at PADI tables and compare it to the plan mode on every Oceanic computer...Versa, Pro, DataMax, even your prodigy I think you'll find them dead even. So, no I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just because it's more liberal, it's well within safe limits.

Myself, I use a Suunto Cobra. Why? Because it is a more conservative computer. It won't let me stay down as long, and the accent rate is half the Oceanics...33ftm. I read conservative as safe...FOR ME.

I do love my cobra, even if it shaves a few minutes off the dive...there's nothing wrong with being even MORE safe ya know.

The only thing I don't like about it is that you can't set the turn around PSI like you can on the Datamax. The Cobra is factory set at 750. But even this complaint could be considered moot because I can't hear the alarms anyway so I tend to watch my numbers like a hawk.

Thx, I'll take that into account. I'll try to figure out if I want to become abit more consevative as well.

Most suunto computers have 5 levels of conservatism so you can set them accordingly (although for some the least conservative is still pretty conservative). Decompression is not an exact science so I would suggest it is better to play safe. Slowing your ascent to well below the maximum rate will help too.

If you are into reefs then can you just spend a little less time deep and a little longer shallow so even with a conservative computer you will get the same dive time?

There is a recent thread in the ask Dr. Decompression forun on the issue of liberal vs. conservative computers. It is called NDL times. Simply stated, Dr. Deco said that both the Suunto and Oceanic computers are correct, despite the differences in their algorithims. I suggest that you go through various threads in that forum as Dr. Deco has said quite a bit on related issues like microbubbles and such.

While the SUUNTO has "levels of conservatism" you can crank in to the computer before the dive, the Oceanic is even easier - just decide how far up the green you want to go, and use that as your limit rather than the "minutes to go" numbers.
I own both and much prefer the Oceanic, for its algorithm, its display and its ease of use.
By the way, at 42 you're just a young pup!
Rick

Thats a good idea. In fact, I have been using the nitrogen loading bar graph (gr, yell,red) as a timer for my "begin ascent" point. I begin at full green, ascend to 30-40 ft and finish out my dive.

Question: I was reading the Suunto Vyper owners manual on-line as well as using its on-line demo, and it seems to suggest its bar graph is directly in sync with Bottom Time Remaining. In other words, merely a graphic representation of BTM. Do you think Oceanics bar graph is like Suuntos or is it really nitrogen tissue loading?

Or are they really one in the same? what do you think?

Rick I found the answers to my questions in the Oceanic manual.

Thx anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom