Transpac and weights configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hubert

Registered
Reaction score
Marina Del Rey half year, Paris France other half
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

I dive with a neoprene drysuit, Al 80, and a Transpac, and need about 30lbs of weight. 4 of those are on the tank for trim, and I am left with having to put 26lbs somewhere else. What kind of solutions do you people use? Putting the whole 26 in two Dive Rite pockets is possible, but not so good for trim. Putting them in four pockets is better but takes quite a bit of space on the BC's belt. Plus, I am not sure I like to have ALL my weight on the BC - what if I need to take it off for some reason? Does anyone dive with the transpac and a weight belt? Pros/cons?

Thanks!

Hubert

Hi guys,

I dive with a neoprene drysuit, Al 80, and a Transpac, and need about 30lbs of weight. 4 of those are on the tank for trim, and I am left with having to put 26lbs somewhere else. What kind of solutions do you people use? Putting the whole 26 in two Dive Rite pockets is possible, but not so good for trim. Putting them in four pockets is better but takes quite a bit of space on the BC's belt. Plus, I am not sure I like to have ALL my weight on the BC - what if I need to take it off for some reason? Does anyone dive with the transpac and a weight belt? Pros/cons?

Thanks!

Hubert

Hi Hubert,

First of all, the Dive Rite weight pockets are dumpable. I dive with the DR steel backplate, and find that I need to remove the weights just to switch over my tanks. It's just too heavy to lift otherwise.

If you want to go with something completely separate from the plate and wings, may I suggest the DUI weight system? http://www.dui-online.com/bc_wt.htm It is very comfortable, completely adjustable, is meant to be worn under the bc, and is dumpable. The adjustability allows you to wear the weights as low on your hips as necessary, in order to avoid overlapping with the webbing on your rig. And, it's not just for drysuits. It's a great idea, and I think we'll be seeing more divers using this system, whether diving wet or dry.

Hi guys,

Thanks!

Hubert

Hello Hubert,

Thanks for your inquiry. We recommend using Harness Weights http://www.diverite.com/catalog/backplates/weight/bc2150-x

Harness weights help with trim as well as dispersement of weight. Each harness weight clips to the 1-inch D-rings on the TransPac. You can wear them on the upper and middle D-rings to help bring your body in a horizontal orientation in the water, or you can wear them at the mid and lower D-rings to give more weight at the hips (which drives the feet down, if you have "floaty feet").

Harness weights come in 2, 3 or 4lbs. Use two 4lb, one on each side and you've dispersed 8lbs of weight and helped your trim. They attach with quick links.

Hope this helps,
Kathleen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom