Wireless EPG for possible technical use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, no giggles please.

Currently I dive "recreationally" - single tank, "no-deco" diving, Nitrox.

I have a Vytec.

I am considering the purchase of a transmitter to go with it.

Why would this not be appropriate if I delve into technical diving in the future?

The Vytec can handle multiple nitrox gasses - so up to that point, its useful for decompression diving.

For mix it is not, but for mix I can switch it into gauge mode, and have ALL the dive information including gas on my back right "in my face".

I would have to carry a bottom timer anyway for technical diving, and the Vytec appears perfect for this purpose, plus, it provides data logging at the same time.

So what would be the complaint about an EPG in a technical environment?

I see it as a possible improvement overall, and with no real detriment, since it is simpler (fewer moving parts) than a SPG, and lacks the spool and double O-ring that could blow out under full tank pressure, and it sticks your gas levels "in your face".

What am I missing here?

Do you feel the wireless transmitter is more reliable than the SPG. Some people I know who have computers with wireless transmitters still keep the SPG as backup .but I am not real familiar with the Suunto's . also some of the transmitters can interfere with your hose routing.
joens

I don't know if it is, and I doubt that anyone can produce a real statistical set of facts on whether it is or is not.

However, of the possible failures of each, I see fewer that could dump backgas (necessitating a post shutdown) for the transmitter, simply due to the lower number of moving parts and the very short distance - entirely encased in stainless steel - that high pressure gas has access to.

On doubles I can't imagine a scenario that would interfere with hose routing. I can see a potential issue with a single with an "H" valve......

The biggest "failure risk' is probably a dead battery, but that is easily controlled for by carrying a spare in your dive bag, and the Suuntos give you plenty of warning that the power level is low before they croak entirely.

First, none of the tekkies I know use a dive computer for deco diving. In fact, every dive computer manual I've ever seen explicitly states that the deco modes are for emergencies only.

We custom cut our tables using software that allows us to fit the profile to the dive. We write the times (and contingencies) on a slate. The slate never fails.

Second, I've seen Vytec's fail in environments where there is a large quantity of metal, such as wrecks. Apparently the metal interferes with the signal.

Third, any computer still has more failure points than a simple brass pressure gauge and no increased benefit. There are enough potential issues in technical diving. Why add to them?

You'll need more than a bottom timer. You'll also need a backup timing device. Some of us use simple timers. Others use wrist mounted computers or a second bottom timer.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
Second, I've seen Vytec's fail in environments where there is a large quantity of metal, such as wrecks. Apparently the metal interferes with the signal.
NE,

What were the circumstances of the failure? I've been inside the Ruby E and Yukon wrecks with my Vytec, and did not experience any interference. I've only done a couple of penetrations though - not incredibly tight stuff, but through hatches, some low ceilings, etc.

I'm sticking with my transmitter until it causes me a problem - I still use an SPG on a 24" hose on my rig - but it's clipped off out of the road anyway, right? I didn't appreciate how nice air integration is until I realised I was no longer reaching for my SPG every few minutes throughout the dive - your remaining backgas PSI is on your wrist, and you see it each time you check time and depth (all three on the same screen). I DEFINITELY would not use the Vytec for any EAN diving where I had to use all three gas mixtures (eg EAN32, EAN50, 100% O2) that can be programmed into it - the computer is just waaaaaaay too conservative, even after tweaking the algorithm settings from RGBM100 to RGBM50 (Suunto's designation for a particular algorithm variable). Advanced Nitrox is a class I want to take soon, so I might play around with a single gas switch on it in computer mode - but I think I should be using it as a gauge for that style of diving.

But for *recreational*, 2 or 3 tank days, the transmitter is the bees knees! The borderline technical diving I do, it's still valuable (to me), but I'm still only getting into it.

Can ya'll with the vytec please confirm:

The hoseless pressure reading works/displays while
the vytec is in gauge mode?

I think this is a first. I can't think of another hoseless
air integrated computer with gauge mode.

My aladin does not have gauge mode and I don't think
the oceanic has one either.

Can anyone think of a hoseless w/gauge mode besides
the vytec?

Kell

Fully functional for pressure in gauge mode.

That is one of the reasons I find this particular combination so compelling.

I can use it as an EANx computer now, even do limited deco with it using a single gas switch (it can handle three gasses but, as has been noted, would likely be WAY to conservative for that), and then switch it over to gauge mode if I have a use for that. It will also give you remaining air time (at present consumption) - again, that works even in gauge mode (but does require a button press to view in gauge mode - its normally up in "computer" mode)

The nice thing the Suuntos it is that EVERYTHING you need is right up front on the display - there is no "page flopping" to get to info you need or want on the screen. The gauge mode even has a resettable "stopwatch" type function (count-up) which is fabulous for timing deco and such, while not losing the total dive time.

I just ordered the transmitter for it from SimplyScuba, after having dove with it this weekend (I have a Vyper, so I was familiar with their computer, but my Vyper is in a console mount.)

There are trade-offs for both mounting options, but all-in-all, I give a slight edge to the wrist over the console.

Northeastwrecks doesn't know many teckies or read many manuals I'd suggest.

By far the majority of teckkies use computers and even the first ever available computer the "Decobrain" was for Deco diving. Suunto and Uwatec, the Dive Rites, HS and Abyss Explorers and VR3 are all most definately for decompression diving and state so in the manual

Here is the results of the first Inspiration users survey (if they are not teckies I dont know who are!!!

Tables 23.01 %
VR3 43.36 %
Abyss Explorer 3.54 %
Nexus 15.04 %
Suunto 3.54 %
Uwatec 3.98 %
Dive Rite Nitec 0.88 %
HS Explorer 0.44 %
Cochran 1.77 %

So only 23% were using tables the rest were using Computers. These are real ststistics not made up data from someones head to support their own way of doing things. Full survey results on my web site

As for the slate never fails. I dropped mine once!!!

madmole once bubbled...
Northeastwrecks doesn't know many teckies or read many manuals I'd suggest.

By far the majority of teckkies use computers...

And you KNOW this because you know "by far the majority" of technical divers on planet Earth?

I don't think most of us, whether we would call ourselves technical divers or not, would consider Inspiration divers as being a representative cross-section of the "technical diving" community.

I don't know "by far the majority of teckkies" so I can't speak intelligently as you can as to what they use or don't use...I do know a number of divers who have undergone a fair amount of technical traning...to an individual, they all use their computers in guage mode and use custom-cut tables for their deco.

I won't call Inspiration divers exclusively technical. A couple of rebreather divers I know use them because they are photographers.

I didn't have time to do a poll. I based it on my own experience.

How many of the technical divers in your group use computers to plan decompression dives?

Your posting of the poll (or perhaps the poll itself) is may be flawed. It doesn't state whether the divers are using the computer for planning deco diving or, for that matter, for deco diving at all. You simply stated that Deathspiration divers also used computers.

None of the technical divers in my group (about 10 of us, in varying stages of technical training) or our instructors, or their assistants, use dive computers for planning deco dives. Instead, we use GUE's DecoPlanner.

The manuals say that the computers have a deco mode. I'm not aware of any manufacturer that recommends using it for planned deco. I'm also not claiming exhaustive knowledge of dive computers, so if I'm wrong, I invite correction.

But even if they do, the fact remains that using a computer (1) decreases situational awareness by allowing the computer to think for you; and (2) has a greater (although still small) chance of failure than a slate.

As for dropping the slate, I also write the plan on a wetnote pack that is stuffed in my pocket. Nothing like a little redundancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom