Nitek-X Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k-valve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know this computer is not out and is still in the testing phases, but I'm watching it's development with interest. Unfortunately, the updates on the DiveRite website are few and far between.

I understand from a local dealer that the decompression model used by the Nitek-X will be the same as the one the Nitek uses. My question is, "Is that true?" I've had a handful of people I consider to be good sources tell me that it is true and they refer to the Nitek as a "Bend-o-matic."

If it is not the same model I'd be interested in knowing what is different about the decompression algorithm Nitek-X as compared to the Nitek. If the Nitek-X is using the same model and you have data to dispute the "Bend-o-matic" claim I'd be interested in that too.

Thanks in Advance!
K-Valve

Hi,

The NiTek X uses a modified Buhlmann ZH-L16 algorithm with preset gradient factors. The NiTek DUO and NiTek Plus use modified Buhlmann ZH-L16 algorithm with no gradient factors (pure Buhlmann). You can find this information in our tech specs section for these products on the website.

The X will also have a custom gradient factor option. In a nutshell, adjusting the gradient factors allows you to adjust the conservatism of the dive.

There is some good information on the gradient factor performance during the alpha test in Lamar's blog:http://www.diverite.com/blog/2007/07/26/nitek-x/

Cheers,
Kathleen

Hi,

The X will also have a custom gradient factor option. In a nutshell, adjusting the gradient factors allows you to adjust the conservatism of the dive.

Cheers,
Kathleen

Is this a new feature? First I have heard of it. Sounds very promising.

I've had a handful of people I consider to be good sources tell me that it is true and they refer to the Nitek as a "Bend-o-matic."

I'd be interested in the data your good sources have that leads them to this 'Bend-o-matic' conclusion.

Well that is good news.

Reading the info on Diveriteexpress I was under the impression that you had to select one of the 3 options offered for any particular dive.

I'd be interested in the data your good sources have that leads them to this 'Bend-o-matic' conclusion.

Well, it sounds like they got the first part wrong...which is good to hear. I'll ask about the "data" and let you know what they say. However, the people I've spoken with aren't the manufacturers of the product, they're just tech divers with a lot of firsthand knowledge and experience. The reason I am cross checking with the manufacturer is because I would expect them to have better info and data on their products...especially those in development. Which, as a responsible manufacturer, DiveRite does.

Why ask such a pointed question? I think we all know that it's one thing to touch down at 175' and turn around, it's a completely different ballgame to spend time at that depth...and deeper...especially if you're task loaded. I prefer a fairly conservative profile...something more in the middle...not too conservative or too much in the other direction.

I am personally hoping the Nitek-X turns out to be an exceptional computer. I am in the market for a trimix computer that has the capabilities of the Nitek-X. There are a fair number of promising dive computers coming out in the next several months. I like DiveRite products, so that's where I'm looking first.

BTW, Ian, glad someone found your reel. Willie and I did a couple of dives along the line where you felt like you lost it. I guess we were looking in the wrong place though...around 145' instead of on the shore. Great dives though. :D

The NiTek X uses a modified Buhlmann ZH-L16 algorithm with preset gradient factors.

I understood that initially the computer would allow three different preset gf settings:
CON 0 GF= 100/100
CON 1 GF= 40/100
CON 2 GF= 30/75

In reading through the blog you recommended there seemed to some interest (Phil S.) in allowing customizable settings in the final product. Are you saying that there are 3 preset gradient factors and also the ability to customize the settings? That would be a very nice feature.

I understood that initially the computer would allow three different preset gf settings:
CON 0 GF= 100/100
CON 1 GF= 40/100
CON 2 GF= 30/75

In reading through the blog you recommended there seemed to some interest (Phil S.) in allowing customizable settings in the final product. Are you saying that there are 3 preset gradient factors and also the ability to customize the settings? That would be a very nice feature.

Yes, the above gradient factors will be preset and there will also be a custom gradient feature. Whether the custom gradient is standard or an upgrade is still undecided. Thanks for asking!
Kathleen

If it is an upgrade at the end of the day could you make it cheaper than the VR3 "upgrades" ?

Seriously though,I would imagine most divers in the market for this computer would be very interested in being able to set custom gradients. If only to get the computer to match their planning software of choice

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom