Quick Disconnect or NO quick Disconnect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Quick Disconnect on a Computer ???

I see it as an additional point of failure but wanted to hear your opinion.

As of now i am interested in the Data Max Pro Plus 2

This is one reason I don't like consoles.

Advantage: Only one I can see if you have a downloadable computer easier to take to PC.

Disadvantage: Failure point, breakage point, leakage point. Easier to steal your computer. Expensive.

• Allow you to quickly remove the computer at the end of the dive and stow it someplace safe. Less likelihood of crash and bash - a good thing.
  • Allow you to take your computer with you at the end of the day when everything else is going in a locker. Keep your most expensive piece of gear with you and update your log while the dive is still fresh in your mind. Also a good thing.
We have two Oceanic DataMax Pro Plus computers, both with quick-releases. Several hundred dives over a number of years in a variety of conditions and there has never been a problem with the release failing or leaking or otherwise misbehaving. During that same time I've crashed an SPG and bent the spindle on another - so failures can happen anywhere. I love the easy to read numbers, the ease of operation, the ability to cope with an erratic profile and the nitrox capability. I never have been able to get the dadburned PC interface to work consistently - and I hear that many divers have the same problem. I wish I could switch gases during a dive and have it wash my car for me, but isn't that what the Nitek3 is for?

As for those who fear computers will rot your brain, by now the holes in my brain should be big enough to dive in - but somehow I'm still limping along.

Steven

I did away with the quick discounted the same day I started gearing up at the quarry only to discover that my Cobra was still home attached to my PC.

DOH!!! I did the opposite (computer in bag, regulator at LDS).

I have a quick disconnect on my Aeris 500AI. Its nice, but they only make the hose in one length, and that is too long for my taste.

I'm changing it to a regular fitting.

Other than that, I don't mind them, although they are a failure point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom