I just HAD to post this!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabunny

Reaction score
Once you see the pictures, you will understand!

Last Friday, a "small" pod of Sperm whales was spotted about 4 miles off shore, by our dolphin watching boats. They will migrate by Guam from time to time, but usually don't hang around for very long before they dive into the abyss. The dolphin boats stayed around (at a very respectful distance) for about an hour then went back to the docks. Believe me, the tourists got more than they paid for that day!

One of the experienced captains (from Canada, by the way) called Chris, our sales manager and resident "photo gu-ru" and told him..from what he saw..there was a baby whale with them. Chris flew out of the office with cameras and snorkel gear, and met him at the dock.

By then, all the tour boats had left..and the whales were still there. Apparently, one of the females gave birth earlier that morning. The imbilical cord was still attached to the baby! When they got there, the family was still helping the baby to learn how to breath. Two of the females would get on either side of the baby, and gently lift him to the surface...then let him drift back down to swim by himself for a few minutes, but stayed close to lift him back up again (he got the idea after a few times).

Chris got in the water, and said it was the most magical experience he has ever had...below or above the water! The baby was curious as to what he was..and kept coming within 10ft of him. The mamma stayed close by him also..keeping a "very watchful" eye on him! But, they didn't seem nervous, although one swam close enough to him that the force of the tail sent him spinning head over camera!

Wish I could have seen that..but the pics are incredible! If you want to see them, go to http://www.mdaguam.com and click on the "baby sperm whale" link on the main menu. Believe me, it is worth it! I can imagine how humble you would feel to be in the water with these giants! And, the fact that the whole herd protected the baby like that just amazes me! I just never thought of whales as being so family oriented..and so loving. I just had to share this with all of you.

Just marvelous!
Rick

Well, this post and those pics made my day.
Thanks for sharing. Unreal!
:sunny:

awsome doesn't even describe this!!!

Way cool!!!

Any chance to see the video mentioned in the text? That would be the berries!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom