VersaPro/Atmos 2??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OglalaDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Ok...looking very seriously at buying a dive computer. After looking at several brands and models, I have narrowed it down to either the Aeris Atmos 2, or the Oceanic Versa Pro. My question to you all is this......if you look at their respective websites for these models, they are VERY much alike....same features, operate the same way, etc....and am wondering if they are in fact the same computer just packaged differently??
Also.....any of you that have either of these....how do you like them, etc?

Pretty much the same computer. The Oceanic has a few more features. May buy one for myself.

Why is the Oceanic better? Think they're almost identical myself. I'm also looking at the Versa Pro, Atmos 2 and the Vyper. Can't decide which would be best for my Shallow, Minnesota lake diving. Anyone want to offer some additional advice?

Jaye

Hello Oglaladiver, I've been using a Oceanic Prodigy for five years or so and really like it. In fact I'm going to upgrade and am considering the Versa Pro as well. I think I've read too much about the newer computers and their algorithums, all the pros and cons. I believe it has clouded the water a bit. I'll think about it some more. This board has really helped.

As far as being close to the Aeris. Just came back from Bonaire and my dive partner was using a new Aeris Atmos I. We were comparing the loading graphs during and after the dives and we found... My Prodigy, bar graph, seemed to load faster(during the dive) than his but would off gas faster(during SI) than his. So his graph didn't build as high as mine but also off gassed slower. At the beginning of the next dive our graphs were at just about the same place. Maybe that means the Prodigy was a touch more conservative? Not sure.

I agree the two are very similar. I'm sure I'm a bit biased though.

Just to offer up another option, have you considered a Uwatec Smart Pro. I was set on an Atmos 2, until I looked at the Smart Pro. In defense of the Atmos 2 though, it is less expensive and seems to be a little easier to opperate wtih only 2 buttons.

As far as Oceanic vs. Aeris. As is was explained to me, the people that started Aeris defected from Oceanic which is probably the cause behind the similar look.

Aeris and Oceanic are joined at the hip so to speak they are both owned by Pelagic and the Aeris engineers were with Oceanic, I thought the Aeris regs would end up being an Oceanic clone but to my surprise they are totally different. I have used the Atmos 2 for this past summer and quite like it, pm me what you are paying for it I have a good source for both Oceanic and Aeris.

After looking over the manuals for both the Atmos 2 and the Versa Pro, all I can find are cosmetic differences. However, Aeris can be purchased mail order from authorized dealers. Somewhere I saw a post that said Divers Discount would match Leisure Pro prices on Aeris. If such a deal can be had, it would make the Aeris a better choice as it would have a factory warranty.

See...thats what I thought. Ive checked them both out pretty extensively and the only differences I find are cosmetic. Im willing to be that they are the same computer, just as I said..packaged differently. At any rate, you've all been a great help. Glad I found this board.
Marty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom