Opinions re gear soon to be purchased

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a new diver (only 10 dives in Cozumel to date) and new to this forum, and I'm about to pull the trigger on my first set of gear. Any comments, opinions, pro's or cons re the following set-up?

1. BCD = Zeagle Ranger

2. Regulator = Apeks XTX200

3. Octopus = Apeks XTX40

4. Computer = Aeris Atmos Al Air Integrated Console with
Compass & Quick Disconnect

My main priority is a top-notch regulator -- probably because on my 9th dive in Cozumel, the 1st stage of my regulator (rental equipment, no doubt) got stuck at 85 feet....not fun.

Thanks for any input.

You are going to get a lot of opinions. It all depends on where you want to go w/ your diving. That Apeks is a very solid reg. Zeagle is solid as well. Personally, I would not buy an Air Integrated computer and even if I did, I would not buy a console. I prefer wrist mount; it's a much cleaner set-up and I just clip away a brass and glass spg. But that's just me. I think you'll do fine w/ this set-up.

You've chosen top notch gear. The AI computer is a personal preference thing, I also prefer a wrist mounted computer, but the Aries is top notch stuff.

Sounds like a great set up. Try to dive it in a pool or easy local conditions before any trips. Keep it serviced. Should work out well for you. Can't really complain about any of what you got.

Thanks. The only reason I like the Aries is because it has my SPG and everything else in one console. I also like wrist mounted computers, but I don't like the all-inclusive wireless ones for some reason, although I could add a separate SPG as Battles2a5 does. So, I guess my next question is, what are some wrist computers that you guys recommend (up to $550.00 in price)? Thanks again.

the oceanic geo, or the aeris equivalent falls in your price range, but is not ai. The main reason I use a wrist mount is that it lets me keep track of my progress through the dive by having it right in front of me. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I find it to be a pain to reach down, get the console, and put it back as often as I'd like to be checking.

I do have a mini depth and spg clipped off as a backup to my ai wrist computer.

I am a new diver (only 10 dives in Cozumel to date) and new to this forum, and I'm about to pull the trigger on my first set of gear. Any comments, opinions, pro's or cons re the following set-up?

1. BCD = Zeagle Ranger

2. Regulator = Apeks XTX200

3. Octopus = Apeks XTX40

4. Computer = Aeris Atmos Al Air Integrated Console with
Compass & Quick Disconnect

My main priority is a top-notch regulator -- probably because on my 9th dive in Cozumel, the 1st stage of my regulator (rental equipment, no doubt) got stuck at 85 feet....not fun.

Thanks for any input.

backplate and wing...

If you are doing a lot of travel to places like Cozumel, you might want to look at a Zeagle that packs up a bit smaller like a Zeagle Brigade or a Zeagle Scout if you don't need much lead. The rangers are wonderful BC's, but the size of the bladder which is really designed for dual tanks may not be perfect for the traveling diver. I also like what Zeagle did with their regs over the Apeks - they are such a good, customer service oriented US company, it's hard to not look at their offerings before pulling the trigger.

Thanks for any input.
I think what you're looking for is reliability, as opposed to performance. If you're lucky enough where budget isn't a consideration, then you're doing fine. However, there are many regulators at a lower price point which are rock solid.

Do you really need to pay for, and I quote from the manufacturer's description:

"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]an aesthetically pleasing chrome plated metal insert immediately identifying this regulator as a top of the range model"

or the ability to route the LP hose from the other side? Or even a swivel (another failure point)?

I'm not saying that the xtx200 isn't a great regulator, I'm just suggesting not to get confused about what you're paying for.
[/FONT]

I think what you're looking for is reliability, as opposed to performance. If you're lucky enough where budget isn't a consideration, then you're doing fine. However, there are many regulators at a lower price point which are rock solid.

Do you really need to pay for, and I quote from the manufacturer's description:

"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]an aesthetically pleasing chrome plated metal insert immediately identifying this regulator as a top of the range model"

or the ability to route the LP hose from the other side? Or even a swivel (another failure point)?

I'm not saying that the xtx200 isn't a great regulator, I'm just suggesting not to get confused about what you're paying for.
[/FONT]

For what it's worth, the reason that I became interested in the Apeks regulators is because, eventually (i.e. after much more experience), I want to get into tech diving. It's my understanding that the Apeks is versatile -- that it is extremely reliable and performs great for deeper and colder dives, yet is also outstanding for shallower, warm water reef dives. I have wondered if the ScubaPro MX17/S555 is as good as the Apeks I'm looking at....if so, I could save a little bit of money, although the Apeks is within my budget.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom