Pole spear use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firediver32

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am just getting started in doing some very occasional hunting in S. Fla. and really only like eating grouper and hog fish. I have seen many hog fish taken with pole spears but my question is...is a pole spear ok for grouper? I will only kill what I like to eat, so bigger fish are most likely not gonna be a target.

Dan

Yes, a pole spear is ok for grouper. It is much more challenging than using a gun but you can definitely do it. It's important that you go for a kill shot. Shoot the fish in the head. If you don't kill or paralyze the fish with your first shot then there is a good chance you will lose it. I use a paralyzer tip on my pole spear.

Pole spears work ok for smaller reef fishes. But they are inappropriate and inhumane for larger fish.

If you want a challenge then freedive rather than scuba. But make sure you have an adequate sprear gun for your indended prey.

Good question. I wish someone would show me how to use mine. All I know is how to jab with it. I don't know how to use the rubber sling. when I stretch it and let go...theres no telling where it might go, at least 6-12 inches off target.

Pole spears work ok for smaller reef fishes. But they are inappropriate and inhumane for larger fish.

If you want a challenge then freedive rather than scuba. But make sure you have an adequate sprear gun for your indended prey.

c'mon, in the Bahamas you are not even allowed to use a gun and everybody hunts grouper with pole spears over there quite effectively. A pole spear can be quite adequate for grouper. My buddies and I have taken plenty in the 15-30 pound range freediving. For fish in this size range... shot placement is more important than whether you are using a gun or pole spear. A paralyzer tip (on a pole spear) will go through a groupers head like butter with very little power... and that is what you need for a kill shot. An advantage that a high powered gun gives you is longer range than a pole spear offers. With a pole spear you have to be closer to the fish but since grouper almost always "hole up" when frightened this is not always an issue.

I have seen plenty of medium sized grouper bend shafts 90 degrees and pull the barbed tip right through the fish and get away. I have also taken grouper the same size almost effortlessly using my pole spear with a single kill shot. Even the expensive high powered guns can be rendered completely innefective on mediocre fish if you don't get a kill shot.

Now if you are talking about larger fish (say over 40 pounds) then I somewhat agree with you but a 15 to 30 pound grouper is a respectable fish and can certainly be taken with a pole spear.

I am just getting started in doing some very occasional hunting in S. Fla. and really only like eating grouper and hog fish. I have seen many hog fish taken with pole spears but my question is...is a pole spear ok for grouper? I will only kill what I like to eat, so bigger fish are most likely not gonna be a target.

Dan

Dan,

In the right hands a pole spear can be a good spearfishing tool, as can be a Hawaiian sling or a speargun.

If you mean SE FL, as a new diver you will have a fairly tough time getting up to the skill level to stalk and effectively spear a grouper larger than 24", with just "occasional hunting."

Hogfish will be much easier, but still you will have to be consistent with your polespearing technique. Put the band over the back of your hand, not your thumb. Twist the pole slightly when stretching it to prevent bowing. It's kinda like shooting pool and bowling combined.

If you want to challenge yourself soon to shooting grouper I'd get a 48" or longer gun.

Chad

Thanks for the all the advice. I mentioned grouper because I've had some oppurtunity already with near point blank shots at them, and didn't take them as i was not sure if the tool I ws using was enough. Grouper would not be a primary target with a pole spear, but should another one of those rare perfect shots arise again, i wanted to know if I could take the shot. Sounds like if everything is perfect ( and we all know it rarely is) It will work.

If your going to use a paralyzer tip, make sure it has barbs on it. I prefer to use a rotating arrowhead with wings.
Good luck,
Terri

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom