Triggerfish Attack Head Count

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.........to put that fish on a plate.

I was once bitten by a triggerfish, but I would not classify it as an attack, more like self defense.

WWW™

And stop Trigger Fish from kicking sand in your face.You see,I'm ok because since I've been following Charles' advice,I am now the biggest thing on the beach and in the water....Neahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!
Go ahead you 'finned punk'! Make my day!
Cheers Big Ears,
The one and only,
Gasman

.-..give them your fins!
i was attacked by one of those guys 3 weeks ago in perhuantian, malaysia. went straight for my head, so i turned my head and it passed by....then this guy turned, but it only went for my fins - so there's a nice bitemark in'em now... ;-)

I (and about 9 others) had a confronting encounter with a triggerfish on my very first ocean dive in Fiji last November. This was on a trial dive, pre-certification. The divemaster told us before we entered the water to be on the lookout for the fish, as it was their breeding season and they became very territorial and aggressive (defensive?). On entering the water, we discovered that the boat was positioned directly above a pair of triggerfish hovering above their nest, a depression scooped out of the sand about 6 feet across, about 30' down. The female stayed close to the nest, but the male made a beeline for us, and harassed us for about 10 minutes until everyone was in the water and we had moved out of the area. He then proceeded to tail us, and would occasionally bite our fins. Bit disconcerting for a total newbie to feel something tugging and shaking at your leg! Fortunately no-one was injured, as this sucker had a mean mouthfull of teeth that looked like they'd make short work of someone's fingers. The fish looked to be about 20 inches to 2' long.

Since then I've seen triggerfish in Melbourne, but these guys were only a foot long and very timid.

Ben.

I had an interesting experience with the same (I believe!)triggerfish over a one month period.
The location was Hideaway Island, Port Vila, Vanuatu and I had dived on this site (a coral reef) about twenty times in the past year. There was one particular area (18m depth)where there were always two triggerfish. In November though, they became very inquisitive - so much so that on one dive a lady I was diving with was bitten on the leg (drawing blood) and I was bitten through my Tusa fin and booty. They continued to attack for about three minutes until we had swum about 50m away. I returned to the same spot about a week later, knife drawn! Again they were very inquisitive, but didn't attack. This was repeated for another three weeks (four dives), before they didn't come close again. Now, I am always wary of triggerfish!!!

Regards,

vmf

Wow...I'm shocked! I have dived with lots of triggerfish in the past and never had a problem. I've never even heard of anyone having trouble out of them before much less being attacked!

Ldreamin

I'm sorry, vmf. While reading your thread I kept hearing the theme to Mission Impossible & picturing you with your "knife drawn" - eye balling those trigger's with suspicion. It was an enjoyable reading moment. Thanks.

OOOOps
There are a bunch of them playing whith our DSD customers.
Some of them get all panicy about them.I now think about (putting thhem on the Plate) the triggerfish.....nut the customers. We dive in Abades...thats on Tenerife , Canary Island , and in the spot where we do the DSD there are 6 of those little Devils. Ans yes they are going to end up in a PAn if they carry on like this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom