Nitek HE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one. and done about 50 dives on it.

I have done deco and acellerated deco on it. gas switch computers rock. I havent had chance to use it with trimix yet, but it is stupidly easy to use.

I reckon that any technology that needs an instruction manual, is fundimentally too complex for human beings to use. The He doesnt have an instruction manual, (just a flowchart)

The elastic strap sucks, and the unit is a little bulky. The feature that you can change from feet to meters and back is very cool.

I like mine, but my criticisms are:
The screen numbers and letters are quite small and hard to read.
The lack a of backlight is irritating, you'll have to shine you light on it to see it in a dark area.
The logic of the screens is just okay - I agree with Cancun, that it shouldn't need a manual, though he obviously dive the He version. Though the He is almost identical to the Nitek 3, I think the screen logic could be improved.
It's quite large, I wonder if dive computers need to be that big.

I have a Nitek He and am happy with it. A backlight would be a huge boon. The wrist strap arrangement is awkward, but I don't have a better suggestion for it. The size of the unit is a bit of a problem if you're trying to strap it on the same wrist as a bottom timer/etc.

I do dive trimix with it, though it functions as a backup for precut tables. Occasionally I will use it for light computer deco (nitrox, 10 minute max deco).

I also have one and love it. IMO it's very easy to use and read. The gas switching is also easy and simple to underatand. I haven't used it for trimix yet either and it is a little big but you get used to it.

Depending on what you're looking at paying for one you might take a look on Ebay under dive computers as there was a VR3 for $1028 and an Abyss Commander for $800 listed on there yesterday, 5/30/04. Both are far better then the He from all the info I've heard but they are usually far more expensive.

Atticus,

I got rid of the elastic strap and just installed a standard strap with velcro. Works better then the original but you have to tighten it every now and then during the dive as the suit is compressed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom