Help me decide if getting my own gear makes sense.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanicRocks

Reaction score
I'm what you would call a vacation diver... I love to dive but I dive to see the wildlife. Unfortunatly I live in a cold climate where there is mud to see...

It has been somwhat agonizing to consider the purchase of all of my gear. I am unsure if the cost outweighs the need for my own gear. Here's the thing, I recently got back from a jamaica trip where I could have gone diving 2 tanks per day. day trips were deep dives and afternoon dives were shallower 60 ft max. So, I go on my first dive at the resort and I don't like what I see at all. reg hoses cracked and split to the point that you can see the inner hose wrap has started to split... second stages beat up to a pulp. DM's very layedback... spg even conked out on me during my dive. This was such a concern to me on this trip that I forfitted most of my dives for safty(divs were included in the package mind you)... Wife was upset as she knows how I love to dive (she does not dive) and didn't really understand why I wasn't diving. this trip really woke me up to the dangers of diving beatup equip. needless to say I only dove three times out of a possible 20 dives. Horrible... as I now dream of diving everyday, something was missing from my trip.

so this question of maintenance on regs every year is a real one to me. More so is that people are telling me that if you don't dive your regs every year than that is worse on a regulator than diving it everyday. So, I'm not sure what to think. I have had a few years where I don't get a chance to go away and others where I don't go to a dive destination. so what to do? do I buy my own equipment? is it actually going to be safer if there are a few years that I skip service? I definatly plan to service my gear befor I go diving but I don't know if I will do it if I don't dive... I don't know if anyone can offer adifinitive answer to this but... any suggestions on what you think would be greatly appreciated. TY

I'm what you would call a vacation diver... I love to dive but I dive to see the wildlife. Unfortunatly I live in a cold climate where there is mud to see...

It has been somwhat agonizing to consider the purchase of all of my gear. I am unsure if the cost outweighs the need for my own gear. Here's the thing, I recently got back from a jamaica trip where I could have gone diving 2 tanks per day. day trips were deep dives and afternoon dives were shallower 60 ft max. So, I go on my first dive at the resort and I don't like what I see at all. reg hoses cracked and split to the point that you can see the inner hose wrap has started to split... second stages beat up to a pulp. DM's very layedback... spg even conked out on me during my dive. This was such a concern to me on this trip that I forfitted most of my dives for safty(divs were included in the package mind you)... Wife was upset as she knows how I love to dive (she does not dive) and didn't really understand why I wasn't diving. this trip really woke me up to the dangers of diving beatup equip. needless to say I only dove three times out of a possible 20 dives. Horrible... as I now dream of diving everyday, something was missing from my trip.

so this question of maintenance on regs every year is a real one to me. More so is that people are telling me that if you don't dive your regs every year than that is worse on a regulator than diving it everyday. So, I'm not sure what to think. I have had a few years where I don't get a chance to go away and others where I don't go to a dive destination. so what to do? do I buy my own equipment? is it actually going to be safer if there are a few years that I skip service? I definatly plan to service my gear befor I go diving but I don't know if I will do it if I don't dive... I don't know if anyone can offer adifinitive answer to this but... any suggestions on what you think would be greatly appreciated. TY

As you have already seen, owning your own gear has some definate advantages......mainly, you control the condition of your equipment. Like any activity that you enjoy, there is some entry cost. Very good scuba gear can be purchased by an occasional diver at a reasonable price. If you are willing to forgo fancy computers and deluxe features on a buoyancy vest, you can get a good scuba unit for $400-$600. I know from your previous posts that you have done a LOT of price shopping, so you have a good idea of what is available.

On the maintenance issue......frequent use or almost no use has little impact on the annual cost of your service. If you purchase a regulator set with life-time parts warranty, you are looking at anywhere from $50 to $80 labor. That is a small price to pay for having the comfort of gear that you are familiar with and gear that you KNOW is well maintained.

Given that you passed up over 75% of the dives you were offered due to concerns about equipment safety, I cannot see how you could NOT purchase your own gear, especially if you intend to continue to dive. Vacations cost too much to let several hundreds of dollars prevent a good time. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

I think you may have answered your own question. The open item would be just how much of your own gear to you want to buy? Obviously given your experience with the rental Regs that might be a place to start (I've only rented once and that was down in Cozumel and the gear was just fine). To me the benefit of owning my own BC is that I know it fits, I have it set-up how I like it and it is a back-inflate vs most rentals are jackets. There is a sunk-cost associated with me getting this benefit and which side of that fence you fall on is a personal decision.

If you are concerned about the availability of quality rental Regs, you can purchase some high-quality Regs that are great for the type of diving you want to do for a few hundred. The annual service boils down to about $5-6 dollars per month if you look at it that way. That is one giant Starbucks coffee a month.

I think you may have answered your own question. The open item would be just how much of your own gear to you want to buy? Obviously given your experience with the rental Regs that might be a place to start (I've only rented once and that was down in Cozumel and the gear was just fine). To me the benefit of owning my own BC is that I know it fits, I have it set-up how I like it and it is a back-inflate vs most rentals are jackets. There is a sunk-cost associated with me getting this benefit and which side of that fence you fall on is a personal decision.

If you are concerned about the availability of quality rental Regs, you can purchase some high-quality Regs that are great for the type of diving you want to do for a few hundred. The annual service boils down to about $5-6 dollars per month if you look at it that way. That is one giant Starbucks coffee a month.

ok perhaps I need to clarify a bit... yes money is a factor in this. I am not one to skimp out on stuff as important as life support system... this is persicely the reason behind my wanting to gtmy own gear. I am already looking at about 1200 to $1500 worth in gear so I'm not looking to go cheap either. here is the thing and I may not have been as clear as I would hav liked to be on my opening post...

Money is a factor, yes... but SAFTY is a bigger factor if not the biggest. As I mentioned befor, I was told that not diving your regulator often can be harder on your equipment than diving it... since this will be most probably the case with me, Why am I going through the trouble of owning my gear? (perhaps this is a direct question to the vendor above?) I was also told that most diving regulator issues occur right after service... and getting them serviced too often is NOT a recipe for safety. so, the real question is... is it actually safer to own your own equipment if you don't dive it but once a year? and sometimes even skip a year or two. again, money is a factor but safety is the greaer factor for my decision...

I hate to answer my own question but...

here is an idea. let me know what you think. I buy a wrist style computer that would definitely make me a safer diver with all of the features and benefits that such computers have these days. Sorry, I disagree with the vendor above on this point whole hartedly... A computer for a resort vacation diver such as myself is perhaps the number ONE piece to have. I have been on many vacations where the equipment was just fine but the DM's were real bad. Like no dive planning, no safety stops, acesdts too fast, or don't tell you you start time and end time ect. This is where a computer will make your diving safer as you can really take your own safty in your own hands. So I do belive that computers will make you a safer diver because of it.

So, how about on top of the computer purchase which I definatly plan n buying, I also buy my own BC which will aid in a very important safety feature as well... becoming neutrally buoyant. This will lessen overexertion make me more streamlined, more comfortable when diving and allow me to purchase some safety accessories not commonly found inside a rental BC. Like, a whistle or a signal tube ect. It will also allow me to keep all of my gear clipped how I want/need them... like my knife which I like to wear on my right shoulder and never got it there in my rental gear (usually have to put it in a pocket-not a good place IMO)... Also, a BC you can do your own mainenance fairly easily on.

Than the regulator is the wuestion...I may be able to rent from my local dive shop where I know he probably services and I can check out hoses and overall condition. This may allow me the opportunity to dive different regulators and determine which one is the best for me befor I buy. It will also probably be cheaper than buying a set and certainly even the cost to maintain it... Does anyone out there know what it costs to rent a good reg. and gage setup?

Anyway, this is where I am at and what I am thinking as an alternative and again... only because I am being told by many that having your own gear be safe, you must dive and use it fairly regularly and diving it once a year I don't think qualifies it as being used regularly...

Suggestions anyone? TY

Money is a factor but SAFTY is a bigger factor. As I mentioned befor. I was told that not divingyour regulator often can be harder on your equipment than diving it... since this will be most probably the case, Why am I going through the trouble? I was also told that most diving regulator issues occur right after service... and getting them serviced too often is NOT a recipe for safety. so, the real question is... is it actually safer to own your own equipment if you don't dive it but once a year? and sometimes you skip a year? again, money is a factor but safety is the greaer factor for my decision...

As it relates to those specific questions, I'll have to defer to someone with more experience or a trained service tech. I too have read that letting a REG sit is "harder" on it that diving with it on a regular basis, but I've never seen a detailed explanation for that. The comment about most regs having problems right after servicing is something I haven't seen. Sorry, not much help in this case.

For me, diving became so much more enjoyable with my own gear that works/ fits the way I like it. But it definetly was not absolutely necessary.

I think in your case, renting can still be an interesting option: 1- if you are going to be renting at your destination, make sure in advance it's from a reputable dive operation that has well maintained gear (all inclusive resorts, where the diving is included, are probably skimping somewhere). If you have to, rent from another store/operation. I'm sure you will be able to find some place they can rent you a decent setup for a whole week if the resort gear is unnaceptable. But check this out before you get there to avoid bad surprises. 2- Rent crucial items from your LDS and bring them with you on the trip! But if you end up diving regularly, rental costs will likely start adding up...

As far as maintenance goes... There is no OBLIGATION to service it every year, even if you are not diving (that is YOUR choice). You CAN go several years (and save 50-80$ a year) without service if you so choose. BUT.... Be aware that probably any warranty/ free parts policy might be void if you do this. Also, when you do come to service it, it might cost a bit more for replacement parts like dried O-rings (probably not all that much more). But even if you've not used it in years, a good dive shop will be able to make sure their service gets it into Tip top shape for safe diving! What you need to consider is: do the savings of not servicing annually outweigh the extra expenses and inconveniences (no warranty, higher service cost for parts , etc...)?

Obviously, taking good care of your equipment when you do dive and properly storing it will help if you do not service every year...

Anyways, this is just my 0.02$! Take it for what it's worth...

Cheers!:coffee:

As it relates to those specific questions, I'll have to defer to someone with more experience or a trained service tech. I too have read that letting a REG sit is "harder" on it that diving with it on a regular basis, but I've never seen a detailed explanation for that. The comment about most regs having problems right after servicing is something I haven't seen. Sorry, not much help in this case.

BTW, is that the delta 4 oceanic regulatorin your avatar picture? its one I am considering. thanks for your help to date.

Owning your own gear has a HUGE impact on your diving, both positively and negatively.

On the down side, if you own your own gear you need to... Buy it, that cost money. Maintain it, that costs money and takes time. Transport it, that takes up space in your luggage, and may cost extra if your bags are heavy. Perform routine cleaning, that takes time, probably more time than you would spend cleaning rental gear. Even new gear breaks from time to time, and if that happens you will either need to have it repaired or replaced, that takes time and costs money. If this happens on vacation you may not have lots of either.

On the up side, if you own your own gear you will... Have confidence that the gear is well maintained. Know the configuration of your gear. Know that it fits well.

The choice is yours, but if you buy you should plan the long term costs into the equation. Consider just how much it will cost to maintain your gear. Consider that if you own, you will spend lots more on little gadgets that you will add to your rig, these get expensive.

Renting has many problems like those you have outlined, but when you rent at your destination... You don't need to transport the gear on an airplane. If somthing breaks you just take it back to the rental shop and get another (sometimes you need to be assertive). Usually rental gear gets rinsed after a dive, but chances are you will not be quite so anal about it. When renting you usually get inexpensive gear, but for most vacation dives the gear is more than adequate.

I had several bad experiences with rental gear before I bought my own, but the gear I did buy I now rarely use because I made some poor choices. I still use the regulator occasionally, but not the computer. I still use the wet suit, but not, the fins, gloves, booties, mask, snorkle, BC, safety sausage, or virtually all of the little doodads that I used to clip on my BC. I made some expensive mistakes along the way, be prepared to do the same if you buy.

Good luck,

Mark Vlahos

BTW, is that the delta 4 oceanic regulatorin your avatar picture? its one I am considering. thanks for your help to date.

Actually it is the Delta 3 -- not sure how many changes Oceanic made when they rolled out the Delta 4. Both my son and I have the 3 -- we like it, but take that with a grain of salt, since I'm too inexperienced to have tried many others.

Back
Top Bottom