Nomad question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowridersvt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey i was looking into going sidmount this winter my question is can you use the modified wreck wing and but plate from the nomad on a back plate or is it just a transpack sys.

Hey i was looking into going sidmount this winter my question is can you use the modified wreck wing and but plate from the nomad on a back plate or is it just a transpack sys.

It really depends on why you want to side-mount; you can use a normal Rec Wing and Butt-Plate on a Rigid plate and side-mount tanks. I do it all the time with stages and my 'breather bail outs.

There are two real issues; side-mount cave divers (myself included) avoid anything rigid like the plague. There is no sicker feeling than not being able to move forward and finding out that, that one rigid thing on your rig is hung on the ceiling and you can't go backwards either!!! We call it cam-locked and it is not fun. The other issue is that with out tanks on you back you have to control the wing somehow or it will fold up behind you and create too much drag, catch the ceiling, etc. To this end we run the wing under the TransPac; I haven't tried it with a rigid plate (see above) but I believe the plate will cover too much of the wing and greatly reduce lift.

Come to one of our Demo days and check out a Nomad rig.

Jerry

I concur with KV Diver's input. We are having a sidemount clinic at Bill Renaker's REACT party on October 27th in Live Oak, FL. If you are able to make it, we can show your the NOMAD system specifically for sidemounting and the various options for carrying stages, bailout bottles, etc. with a hard backplate.

See Cave Excursions website for more information or check out the post in the Cave Diving section of the ScubaBoard forums.

good question. thanks for asking,
Kathleen

Thanks for the imput Sadly i cant make it to florida for the demo day but my friend and instructor has one here in canada so im going to give it a shot in some tight spots on some wrecks down here in the next couple weeks

thanks for the info guys just ordered my nomad what do you recomend for tanks . i will be wearing a dry suit 90% of time . i was looking at faber lp98 but im up for sugestions

The other option for sidemount is the Armadillo.

I've used both and I found the Armadillo a better setup. That's probably because it was designed as a side mount BC from the beginning, not adapted from existing components. Nothing against the Nomad but the Armidillo is also constructed with cave diving in mind, so it has no snag points on top.

The Armadillo takes a bit more work to set up, but that's one of the reasons it works so well.

Here's the link: Golem Gear, Inc. - Armadillo Sidemount Exploration Harness A2

Just food for thought.

Jeff

Granted I have a bias as I designed the Nomad which I designed with side-mount cave diving totally in mind; 98% of my diving is cave diving. I haven't managed to snag anything on the ceiling of the cave. Another point to be made; Brett Hemphill, the designer of the Armadillo, is a good friend of mine and we discussed many of the design features of the Armadillo vs the Nomad.

While Brett designed a good rig based on his diving experience the Nomad was designed with the input and experience of the best known side-mount divers; Woody Jasper, Tom Morris, Mark Long, and Wes Skiles to name a few.

Jerry

since im not cave certified i will be using it for some really tight spot in the wrecks in the great lakes . going to be looking for some cave training on my trip to florida probly march or so

btw i found a set of faber 120 im 6.6ft tall i dont think il have and issue with these

since im not cave certified i will be using it for some really tight spot in the wrecks in the great lakes . going to be looking for some cave training on my trip to florida probly march or so

btw i found a set of faber 120 im 6.6ft tall i dont think il have and issue with these

Hi lowridersvt,

Sounds like a good setup for you...the Faber 120s. Glad you mentioned your height. Just so you know, the Nomad is available in size Tall for those who are 6'5" and taller. You might have already ordered a Tall, but in case you didn't know about it and your standard size Nomad seems too short (meaning the backplate ends above your waist) you might consider a Tall.

Just wanted to make sure you knew about it.

Best,
Kathleen

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I have another NOMAD question.

First off I enjoy diving it and am really impressed with it. And after a month or so of diving it I got most of my hoses routed the way I like with the exception of the LPI hose. I currently have it coming off of the left side tank and just can't seem to find a clean routing. Any suggestions and or a photo/schematic showing the best way to route the LPI hose would be greatly appreciated

Back
Top Bottom