Having dilema's need advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mpd525

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm trying to make a list of the gear i want for xmas for the misses to buy me.

The problme i'm having is I can't decide what to get, and the even bigger problem is where to buy. My LDS carries Sherwood and Genesis gear, which is fine. I really like the guy that owns the store and he's been real good to me. But i've also read the Sherwood regs aren't as good a breather as say oceanics. But i do know that the sherwoods are bullet-proof. I guess my question is do i get my stuff from him, and possibly sacrifice just a little if not at all, or look around and buy online.

No flamers just want opinions or advice.

As a Sherwood Blizzard diver (as is my fussy wife) I will say that everything you say is correct. However as I was advised by many users and have since found for myself the difference in breathing ease is insignificant to the recreational diver.

The Sherwood line is reliable, affordable, economical to service and can be serviced almost anywhere there is water.

If you have a local dealer that will treat you right then I'd say go for it. What model are you considering? Since I would expect that some quarry diving is in your future the Blizzard would be a good choice. You could go Maximus if you like features and feel like living large.

I will say that having local service is priceless as is being in good standing with the local dealer. The first dive day you loose because you need to ship the regulator away or travel far to get it looked at will make any savings look like chump change.

Pete

I'm trying to make a list of the gear i want for xmas for the misses to buy me.

The problme i'm having is I can't decide what to get, and the even bigger problem is where to buy. My LDS carries Sherwood and Genesis gear, which is fine. I really like the guy that owns the store and he's been real good to me. But i've also read the Sherwood regs aren't as good a breather as say oceanics. But i do know that the sherwoods are bullet-proof. I guess my question is do i get my stuff from him, and possibly sacrifice just a little if not at all, or look around and buy online.

No flamers just want opinions or advice.

If you are trying to decide among Sherwood, Genesis, and Oceanic regs, then you need to try each one of them yourself in the open water at 75 fsw before you decide. You cannot just go by what you have heard. That is why there is rental gear. Even better, tell the store owner you promise to buy one of them from him, and he will likely let you take the rental gear rent free.

And for scuba gear, since fit and personal preference are such a critical factor, it is better to receive a gift certificate from a particular store instead.

Another great trick is to ask the store owner what does he himself own. Although then he will probably tell you ScubaPro !!!

my hubby has been trying to wrestle my sherwood oasis' from me for years and i refuse to let them go

i own 2, both oasis, one is 10yrs old and one about 5yrs old and i use them both and i let almitychild dive with them also

hubby only wants to get rid of them because we dont have a strong sherwood market here in sydney and i finally found a person i trust to service them so i now avoid the lds head shaking and tutt-tutting about trading them in for something else (they always complain about parts but my service guy doesnt)

cheers

well thanks alot. i'm looking at the maximus reg, sherwood avid, the shadow octo, and i can't make up my mind about whether i want to get the wisdom, or the insight(i think that's the one). I get along great with the LDS owner, he's a really good guy. I know he dives an avid, and a maximus, and when he is doing salvage, and inspection work he uses his Genesis Recon, and Avid for his trips. He always cuts me a good deal on stuff.

I might could get better regs in another brand, but the places i can get them serviced I don't care for the people that run them. Or i could buy from ST, and have to ship stuff off to get serviced. But the most convenient and possibly my best bet is just go with my LDS.

hubby had the maxiumus for years and still has it... its on his rebreather bailout now and ive been diving the wisdom for about 5yrs and LOVE IT

in fact almitychild and i fight over the computer all the time so we will have to buy another one so we both get to have one

cheers

well it sounds like i can't go wrong with anything i've picked so far. So i'll go with my first instincts

just a thought... i dont know if your diving gets cold so you might want to discuss this with your lds to make sure your reg doesnt freeze up on you

for obvious reasons i dont have to think too much about that so i dont know what the regs can handle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom