LP Equipment - Can I use it right away

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcasey

Reaction score
I just received all my equipment (and my wifes) from LP . Now we are pumped up to go dive. I was down at my LDS where I was certified buying my wifes wetsuit and mine plus some odd ball items and asked once my stuff got in if we could come down and use the pool as they said I could in my class.

They said that the equipment would need to be serviced by them prior to using the pool. That's fine, but then I realized that LP has assembled everything and tested up there.

Should I pay the money to have it serviced again?
Is this just standard practice in case something happened in the water?

Equipment/Servicing:
MARES DRAGONFLY AIRTRIM BC MENS GRAY MD
MARES MR22 ABYSS REGULATOR x2
SEAQUEST APEKS T20 OCTOPUS x2
SUUNTO VYPER COMPUTER CONSOLE
SQ DIVA LX BLACK
SUUNTO COBRA COMPUTER CONSOLE W/COMPASS
MARES WEIGHTS POCKETS FOR ALL BC'S
********* ASSEMBLE & TEST *********
*******ASSEMBLY CHARGE WAIVED*******

Thanks, Ryan

rcasey once bubbled...
Should I pay the money to have it serviced again?
Is this just standard practice in case something happened in the water?

Its a scam to suck money out of you.

WW

I would look into another store. They are trying to get some $$ outta ya.

Eric

Find another shop, don't go in there any more, and tell them not only that you won't be back but that you'll make damn sure every one of your friends knows not to get training - or gear - there.

And why.

This is nothing other than a blatent attempt at theft and fraud.

Fraud? Yes, fraud.

They made you a representation that you had use of their pool as a consequence of taking the class. Do you have that in writing somewhere? If you do, go ring up your local AG's office and have a disucussion with them about it. They might be interested in the consumer issue.

If not, you now know that these "fine folks" will lie to you. Is anything ELSE you were told truthful? Is their training worth anything?

Good questions, eh?

Dishonest is dishonest. There is no middle ground.

In like situation I would expect, and not object to, a small ($5) fee for using the pool, regardless if they told you you could use. But, like WW said, paying for equipment service means they're ticked you bought the stuff elsewhere and is a ripoff.

Phil

I may not be the one to defend a LDS but this insults even my ethics. While the whole debate about free advice for gear purchases is open, I would think that a pool is one tangible value a LDS should charge for. I know the offers I see for free pool time are linked to gear purchases in the store. What if you drown using gear LP set up? I bet someone would hold the LDS responsible anyway.

yknot once bubbled...
I may not be the one to defend a LDS but this insults even my ethics. While the whole debate about free advice for gear purchases is open, I would think that a pool is one tangible value a LDS should charge for. I know the offers I see for free pool time are linked to gear purchases in the store. What if you drown using gear LP set up? I bet someone would hold the LDS responsible anyway.

charging for pool time is one thing, requiring the guy to get un-needed service done on his gear is a completely different thing.

Want to bet they make him sign a release before getting in the pool either way?

WW

with his class, then he has ALREADY PAID FOR IT.

The shop I did my OW with gave me two free boat trip coupons.

If they refused to let me on the boat without having gear I bought elsewhere serviced by them first, I'd sue their ass off for fraud.

Yeah, it might only be $100 worth of boat dives, but I'd do it on principle anyway, just so I could wave a judgement around on the street outside their door.

This kind of "lie, cheat and steal" thing pisses me off and always has. If the use of the pool is tied to a GEAR PURCHASE, then say so up front.

Don't tell someone that takes a class from you that you're welcome to use the pool any time they'd like as a consequence of being a student - in other words, its part of what your class tuition covered - and then try to pull this crap when they buy gear somewhere else.

I would be suprised if they even had a release to sign. I also bet a release wouldn't stand up in court anyway. Someone would claim LDS was negligent letting diver in with gear they hadn't inspected. Anyway, I thought general consensus to online regs was go ahead and buy at LP to save but consider having servicing dealer check setup. Original post also didn't state how much LDS wants to look over the gear. Weigh the price they want against the service before labeling them as dishonest.

See the posted invoice.

It was assembled AND TESTED, per the invoice, before shipment.

All this shop is doing is trying rip this guy off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom