RG1215 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about the adjustable version of this second stage, RG1210?

They were significantly cheaper than the balanced seconds (RG2010) and hence good options for deco bottles, though I assume the production costs were about the same, probably same for RG1215 as well. I guess the profit margins were a lot lower. Then again, if DR doesn't offer them people may look to other options for shallower applications where balanced seconds are not needed, so imo DR might as well still sell these.

Hello!
Could find nothing at Technical SCUBA Diving Equipment for Advanced, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc. about RG1215 backup regulator.
Does it mean that these regulators were taken out of production ?

Hello,

Yes, the RG1215 unbalanced (or spring balanced) octo regulator has been discontinued as of September 15, 2007. I have added a category on our website labeled "Discontinued" to help divers who are looking for our older products.

The reason we discontinued the reg is to upgrade our entire line of advanced/technical regulators to balanced regulators that have passed the stringent CE EN250 testing standards.

As a champion for advanced and technical diving, we felt it was confusing and unnecessary to sell a reg whose performance characteristics are not ideal for advanced/technical dive pursuits. The RG1215 (or any unbalanced/spring balanced) regulator is not designed to breath at depths below the recreational levels, nor are they designed to withstand heavy flow or current.

We are replacing this regulator with a balanced octo and yes, it will be more expensive. However, at depths below 100' or cave penetrations, the extra $$ is well worth it if you have ever had an unbalanced reg fail to keep up with your breathing in those situations. It is also nice to know that you can dial down your stage reg and prevent free flow; a feature the RG1215 does not have.

The RG1215 is still available through many of our dealers. I am sure they are still in inventory with some of our dealers for the next few months.

Thanks for asking,
Kathleen

Thank you for reply. Some questions more:
Does RG2010 meet CE EN250 standarts?
What will be the rough price of a new Octo?
What is the main difference between RG2010 and "new balanced Octo RG2015"?

Thank you for reply. Some questions more:
Does RG2010 meet CE EN250 standarts?
What will be the rough price of a new Octo?
What is the main difference between RG2010 and "new balanced Octo RG2015"?

Hi,

The RG2010 is being repackaged with a yellow face cover and 40-inch hose. Because of these changes, it will have a new name/model number...the RG2015. Yes, it does meet CE EN250 standards. MSRP is $200 (same price as the RG2010 now...price will not change).

Best,
Kathleen

Hello,

Yes, the RG1215 unbalanced (or spring balanced) octo regulator has been discontinued as of September 15, 2007. I have added a category on our website labeled "Discontinued" to help divers who are looking for our older products.

The reason we discontinued the reg is to upgrade our entire line of advanced/technical regulators to balanced regulators that have passed the stringent CE EN250 testing standards.

As a champion for advanced and technical diving, we felt it was confusing and unnecessary to sell a reg whose performance characteristics are not ideal for advanced/technical dive pursuits. The RG1215 (or any unbalanced/spring balanced) regulator is not designed to breath at depths below the recreational levels, nor are they designed to withstand heavy flow or current.

We are replacing this regulator with a balanced octo and yes, it will be more expensive. However, at depths below 100' or cave penetrations, the extra $$ is well worth it if you have ever had an unbalanced reg fail to keep up with your breathing in those situations. It is also nice to know that you can dial down your stage reg and prevent free flow; a feature the RG1215 does not have.

The RG1215 is still available through many of our dealers. I am sure they are still in inventory with some of our dealers for the next few months.

Thanks for asking,
Kathleen

Hi Kathleen,

As a tech diver I don't need balanced seconds on my 50% and O2 bottles since I only breathe those from 70' and 20' up, respectively, so why not provide the cheaper unbalanced seconds for those applications and for rec divers who want to save money?

Assuming the production cost is about the same, DR will of course make more money on sales to people who want to stick with the Dive-Rite even though they prefer unbalanced regs, but DR will lose sales on people who go to other brands for the cheaper unbalanced deco and rec regs so it's unclear to me that this would be a good move from a business perspective.

Hi Kathleen,

As a tech diver I don't need balanced seconds on my 50% and O2 bottles since I only breathe those from 70' and 20' up, respectively, so why not provide the cheaper unbalanced seconds for those applications and for rec divers who want to save money?

Assuming the production cost is about the same, DR will of course make more money on sales to people who want to stick with the Dive-Rite even though they prefer unbalanced regs, but DR will lose sales on people who go to other brands for the cheaper unbalanced deco and rec regs so it's unclear to me that this would be a good move from a business perspective.

Hello Floater,

The primary reason for discontinuing the unbalanced octo is that is does not meet EN 250 standards. As a global manufacturer, we must be able to provide products that divers all over the world can use with confidence. CE approval on our regulators is certainly more critical to us than a domestic-only supplier.

While I hear your request for a cheap octo, our goal is to to provide a line of high-quality, high-performance dive equipment suitable for any dive environment.

Thanks for the post,
Kathleen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom