Help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My scooters propeller is starting to rub on the plastic housing.
Any suggestions on what to do?
I started sandpapering the housing but I am not completely confident with this. The unit still runs well.
Thnx

My scooters propeller is starting to rub on the plastic housing.
Any suggestions on what to do?
I started sandpapering the housing but I am not completely confident with this. The unit still runs well.
Thnx

What type of scooter?

BTW - Sandpapering to solve a problem may not be the way to go on something that has critical tolerances like a scooter.
X

If it's rubbing the shroud, get some of the sticky backed sandpaper that you'd use on an orbital power sander. Then, find the rub point, and stick the sandpaper to the shroud before the point where the propellor hits. Then run the scooter, this should sand the prop tips just enough so they clear. this will take about 60 seconds of work and has the bonus of making sure all the props are balanced and the same length.

scooterclass16.jpg

If it is hitting the shroud, a more important question is why? Usually it's because of impact or heavy items squishing the shroud and bending one of the arms.

If, on the other hand, the prop hub is rubbing on the tailcone, this means something has gone awry in the fastening system of the hub, and better be corrected before it gets worse. Simple sanding won't help much here.

All the best, James

Thanks all, its the sea doo vs supercharged. I will try the sandpaper again I guess. Thank you and I am open to any more suggestions.

You have probably bent the shaft.

N

If it is a Seadoo vs Supercharge your shaft is fine and you do not need to sandpaper, the ouside housing is egg shaped a little, see where it is rubbing apply weight 90 deg from that of the outside of the housing. these are great little scooters easy to transport and fairly rugged took mine to Boniare last march and it has over 300 dives on it and still works well
(it is not for cave diving only playing in the open ocean) all the hardcore scooter guys make fun of them but, they can't take them on trips with them mine has been all over.makes the long swim on Bonaire a peice of cake.

Jim

If it is a Seadoo vs Supercharge your shaft is fine and you do not need to sandpaper, the ouside housing is egg shaped a little, see where it is rubbing apply weight 90 deg from that of the outside of the housing. these are great little scooters easy to transport and fairly rugged took mine to Boniare last march and it has over 300 dives on it and still works well
(it is not for cave diving only playing in the open ocean) all the hardcore scooter guys make fun of them but, they can't take them on trips with them mine has been all over.makes the long swim on Bonaire a peice of cake.

Jim

Thanks alot, I did sandpaper and it worked a bit, now I will apply pressure 90 degrees like you said

Jim

Actually, the X-Scooter is quite easy to travel with...just ask James (fdog). He's done a bit of traveling with his as well as many other people I know.

Jim

Come on' if someone offered you a free X and a free Sea Doo which would you take? :blinking: Just to clear my conscience, I don't believe I have made fun of a little scooter yet. As Alan Alda said "The good thing about being a hypocrite is that you get to keep your values." :D

The X is OK for travel too. Just don't pack the battery into the case and you may make the 50 LB+ airline max. This includes the case.

X

Come on' if someone offered you a free X and a free Sea Doo which would you take? :blinking: Just to clear my conscience, I don't believe I have made fun of a little scooter yet. As Alan Alda said "The good thing about being a hypocrite is that you get to keep your values." :D

I would always want the most expensive one, Just did the Nekton in August Cay Sal Bank. I had 2 bags and a carryon both bags were 49# My seadoo is 18#with battery
and another 9# for the spare battery, with my dive gear and Video setup I just make it.you can get (2) 50 min dives per battery again nothing against the x ,but I am astonished at how well mine has held up for 380.00 thats less than a buck a dive.

Dive safe
Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom