Carrying aluminum 80's around?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvmjethead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Seems you're never "done" buying scuba stuff.

I thought I was finished getting geared up for diving. Then I was getting my stuff all staged and ready to go for my first class and realized carrying my tank was pretty awkward.

I've seen the nylon straps with velcro similar to BC tank bands, the foam carriers and even makeshift PVC looking apparatus.

What are you using and why? Pictures would be great.

I think you will find any nylon strap or foam carrier awkward as well.

Just pick them up by the neck and carry them, or sling them over your shoulder holding onto the valve and carry. Not really an easier way unless you get some sort of cart.

I think you'll find the others agree that any other carrying device is pretty much a waste of money. (slings, straps, wheeled-tank-boot, etc).

BTW... most of the foam carriers are just to keep tanks from banging together in your car and are not meant for carrying.

Here is my solution

DSC00003%20(Small).JPG

Dave

Teamcasa's solution looks good, but I usually carry tanks by the neck, over the shoulder, or while strapped to a BC. I sometimes use a collapsable hand truck for moving my HP100 steel doubles around, but that as they say is a horse of a different color.

As others have said, carrying gizmos are a waste of money in my experience. It's more convenient to just carry them than to frig around with gadgets.

carries don't seem to be less awkward. Carrying a tank in each hand can be easier than carrying one though, better balanced.

Some valves are more conducive to carrying than others. Some have a nice projection for the burst disc opposite the knob that lets you wrap a finger on that side. Compare some valves and you will see what I mean.

If you are not a tall person then it means keeping your elbow cocked and that's tiring. Going to HP-80 cylinders will trim about 6 inches off the bottom.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom