Review: X-Scooter repair class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fdog

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I wanted to pass on a big public THANK YOU to Ben McGeever; we attended the Dive-Xtras scooter repair class this last week at the factory in Mukilteo, Washington (this is about 20 minutes north of Seattle).

Rarely have I had such a great experience, learning so much with so many laughs. Ben pretty much gave up two days of production for no apparent return that I could see, besides the questionable value of having us know how to troubleshoot, repair and/or rebuild an X with our eyes closed.

I had posted this elsewhere, but, there’s lots of scooter interest here on Scubaboard; I hope someone can get something valuable out of this.

For those that haven't heard about the X-Scooter repair course, here's a brief report:

Five of us (all X drivers) from Reno made arrangements to attend the two-day class. We flew up to SEA the day before, arriving early enough to get in a tour at the Boeing plant. Janet and I are...well... wingnuts.... so this was a treat. We then checked in to the Silver Cloud Inn in Mukilteo, a fantastic hotel, and I'd highly recommended it if you attend the class.

This is literally the view from the hotel (nice, eh?):

scooterclass0.jpg

The next morning was the first day of the class. We arrived at 9:00 and Ben fed us coffee "elixir of life!" and gave us a brief tour. We were given our toolkits (you get to keep these, they contain every tool needed to assemble an X) and started by assembling noses. What was very cool was that Ben would tell us why each part was designed a particular way, or how it functioned, as we assembled it. So it was way more than a "follow the numbers" assembly, you were learning about the scooter as you went. Eventually we each would build two complete scooters.

scooterclass13.jpg

Lunch was at a local brew pub with excellent pizza. Ben bought, a very nice gesture, and we resolved that we wouldn't let him pay for another meal while we were there.

After lunch we moved on to assembly of tails.

scooterclass1.jpg

Whew. There is certainly a lot to be learned, and I became more impressed with the X as every piece went in. As in the morning, Ben would pass on all sorts of nuggets of assembly wisdom as we went.

scooterclass4.jpg

Even the particularly confusing assembly of the clutch stack was entertaining! The smiling guy in the background is Ted, the Dive-Xtras assembler/floor sweeper/bottle washer, who was truly a pleasure to meet and hang out with.

scooterclass2.jpg

Throughout the class, Ben had paused the production of X scooters so we’d have some peace and quiet. We’d break every now and then to get “knowed up” on the production of X-scooter parts. Everything is made in-house, and we got to see how a $100 chunk of aluminum billet was turned into a X-scooter tail.

First we’d see the production sequence…

scooterclass10.jpg

Then we’d put some more parts together…

scooterclass5.jpg

The explanation (very deep) on how the chunk gets whittled down…

scooterclass11.jpg

And we saw tails emerge from the blank metal!

scooterclass12.jpg

What was a bonus was that Ben was very patient, when folks weren’t comfortable or skilled with a particular task, he’d work with them until they were comfortable as can be, like soldering skillz.

scooterclass6.jpg

At this point we called it a day, it was about 6:00 PM, and had seemed like it had flown by. We adjourned to the restaurant next to the hotel, Ivars’, excellent seafood, where Ben’s wife joined us. Luckily, the hotel was close enough that we could crawl back to our room.

The next day we discovered that our scooter cases are good for more than flying scooters around! We spent the early morning vacuum testing the scooters we’d made (they all passed), water testing them for 40 minutes each in the test tank (all dry), and generally doing QC.

scooterclass8.jpg

scooterclass14.jpg

Along the way, we disassembled batteries, motors, worked through diagnostics, and generally finished up anything we hadn’t done the day before. We also became acquainted with the Gavin, Zuexo and Farrallon scooters with hands-on disassembly and poking and prodding. Ben was drawing engineering diagrams to explain the finer points of shaft seal design, and actually made some difficult concepts easy for my pea brain to grasp. By this time I don’t feel bashful admitting that said pea brain was quite full!

Time flew by so fast we didn’t get to lunch until 2:30. Wow!

After lunch, it was “free time” so to speak, we had brought our scooters to work on. Janet and I replaced our handle V-shims, and one of our friends rebuilt his original Echo model into the new Sierra model, right down to new propellers and a vacuum test. What was cool was how easy it was – a week before we would have been clueless, and now we just chatted and joked as we did something routine.

All too soon it was 6:00 and time for us to head off to SeaTac to fly home.

Was it worth it? Well, Janet and I figure we spent about $1000 between airfare, food, lodging and car rental. This was far more than the actual cost of the class -the cost of the tools. The value of the knowledge we gained was worth double what we spent, and I feel as if I really was on the bargain end. It is very comforting to know we won’t end up with a wrecked trip because of a broken scooter, and, it’s nice to know just what’s what in the inside of my scooter.

As I said before: Ben, saying a mere ”Thank You” isn’t enough. He opened up the factory to us, took the time to make sure we truly understood what we were doing, and made us better divers because of it. It wouldn’t be out of line to say that this is a reflection of how Dive-Xtras does business, too. Wow!

If you are a X owner, I would strongly suggest making the time to attend one of these classes. You won’t regret it!

All the best, James

PS – just to prove I really was there doing stuff…!

scooterclass9.jpg

And lastly – thanks Ted!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom