The Torpedo DPV (Dive Propulsion Vehicle)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dutchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have one of these. I am always hearing about other manufactures but nothing on this one. It is rated to 170 feet. Looks like fun. LP has one for $750.00 :10:
Thanks

There are bargain, low cost scooters; and then there are scooters that are a kludge.

I'd reccomend that you try before you buy; that way you can decide which catagory the Torpedo goes in.

All the best, James

I just bought a torpedo (2500), had it in the water once. So far, it's great :).

I like the fact that the switch is magnetic, nothing to flood there, also, if the battery compartment floods, the motor is still sealed as is the battery. You're supposed to be able to recover from a flood by recharging the battery.

I have one, but don't care for it too much. My main complaint is the weight... all scooters are going to be somewhat heavy, and some very heavy, out of water, but this one is still -2 to -3 lbs negative in water, and I've found that to be really annoying. I wish it were neutral.

I think I'd also rather have a regular trigger instead of the magnetic switch.

Speed is ok... a buddy has an old Dacor that seems like it's faster and has more power.

If I did it again I'd get a used Mako from eBay for < $1000... or cough up $3500 for an X-Scooter :wink:

There's an attachable bladder available for the torpedo. Personally, I like the fact that it's slightly negative.

I've had the 2000 for 6-8 months now and used it at least a couple dozen times. I love it... yea the weight out of the water sucks. It's not a speed demon.. at full charge it will basically keep up with a fast diver kicking hard and after an hour and a half if you use the whole time, it will move you, but just barely. I pull my buddy (holds top of my tank) and we cruise about the speed of casual kicking without the kicking. Current and especially surge do make a big difference of course. The higher powered model- 3500 would be good if you only do 1 short deep dive ie 45 min., but I tend to prefer the longer hour and a half shallow dive. I do get 2 boat dives out of 1 battery charge as long as it's not on the whole time.

Excellent reviews. Thanks for sharing. Some I have never heard of while others I have. Basicly, it comes down to price and weight of the vehicle.

I really like the Torpedo's. I've used them for years and have had very few problems. I presently have 8 in my "fleet". The weight is a good thing in the water. You wouldn't want a neutral DPV. If you lay it on the bottom you want it to stay there. Another nice thing about the Torpedo is that it can easily be operated with only one hand. Try that with most other DPV's and you'll have a tough time manuevering. Also, you can use them one handed with either hand, right or left....another advantage over the other brands. The price is very reasonable and they are quite reliable. Come on over to Maui some time and try one of mine before you buy! I think you'll dig it!

So what if you drop the magnet? just wondering...

Back
Top Bottom