VR3 - Opinion Based on Facts

VR3 Computer - Facts based on experience

• It sucks and is nothing but hype!

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • It's decent!

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • It's has bugs or other problems with it!

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Suunto is Better!

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Uwatec is Better!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's a great computer, reliable, durable, it can do a lot, and worth the cost!

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jackknife

Reaction score
I've just placed an order for an OMS VR3 Dive Computer (Open Circuit Nitrox), and I would like to hear from people who have experience with this computer? Please give me your pro, cons, opinioins? Thanks.

I plan to do 130-160' dives with this, and deco-ing with Nitrox. I just want a solid computer that has a lot to offer and is reliable life support.

had some problems with buttons sticking at first but that seems to be finally sorted out. all in all its a good unit. It's rugged, easy to use, and gives a good profile.

Little things about it I find a bit annoying are the gas switch procedure (not intuitive in my opinion), the profiles (leaving the profile menu I often find I'm on C when I wanted to be on A (solved by always keeping all profiles the same) and the weight of the unit. I don't care for the backlighting scheme either, would like a way to have it stay on for the whole dive.

Things I love about it are user changeable batteries (normal batteries even!), 9 gases (nothing else comes close), the deco profile (mine is the OC trimix version and gives nice deep stops). The no lockout feature is great too.

I use mine as a backup to tables primarily because all of my buddies use tables and we try to run the same profile.

One bit of advice: if it needs service, skip OMS and go through Delta-P in England.

WW

wreckwriter said
"Things I love about it are user changeable batteries (normal batteries even!), 9 gases (nothing else comes close), the deco profile (mine is the OC trimix version and gives nice deep stops). The no lockout feature is great too.
"

The HSE explorer/Abyss explorer does 10 gasses, in OC mode or 5 diluent/5 oc bailout gasses in constant PO2 mode..Unlike the comparison page on the OMS site which is wrong setpoints CAN be programmed underwater also..

I own The explore (trimix)and the VR3(new version- trimix with PO2), I'll take the Explorer ANY day over the vr3.. the menus stink on the VR3, programming gasses is a hassle, the display is too small, and the unit is very heavy..
The display is an Indiglo display which is know in the electronics industry as a "disposable" display since its brightness is measurably decreased after a year(look how many $10 watches use them)...I only use the VR3 as either my second or 3rd backup depending on the profiles I am doing..
The only plus is standard batteries.. I have to use TL-2100s for the explorer (they are easily available but cost about $7-$10 each depending where you get them Radio shack even sells them).

A major plus for the explorer is that its the ONLY computer currently in production that has true RGBM, its also has a choice of 7 buhlman type (both asymetric and symetric) algs if you want...
Its easily programmed without a computer but you can use desktop software if you wish...

The ditributor (for the HSE version)is www.oxycheq.com, the manufacturer's website is www.hs-eng.com, for a version with abyss compatible asymetric factors see www.abysmal.com

I love mine except....

battery changing! When I opened mine up it trashed the o rings and I can't get them out here. Hopefully while I have been away my instructor has a shipment in from the UK. I think the problem out here may be the same as the US - but here they use the same imperial as the US but convert it to metric !!

Jonathan

VR3 does 10 gases (dont forget gas 0) and these are all dynamically changable on the fly even during the dive

Had mine 8 months, 70 dives, no problems whatsoever. Great machine, My Suunto's and relegated to bottom timers and the Uwatecs are in a box somewhere., All buttons working fine

Changed the battery several times, no probs at all

They are very popular amongst the Inspiration users due to the O2 cell allowing real time PPO2 deco and implement a doppler tested model with deep stops that is claimed to give lower dopler scores than RGBM

Was considering buiying a second as backup, but my hammerhead has a second trimix deco computer on it so dont need to)

Would recomend to anyone, but dont buy from OMS if your in the US, as their service is non existant. Simply Scuba are doing them far cheaper as well. www.simplyscuba.co.uk

Check out the VR3 forums at www.ccrinfo.com

I enjoy my VR3. I have the Closed Circuit Trimix version. When I first got it, scrolling through the menus took a little while to become comfortable with. Aside from that, I have been happy with it. I find the screen size and the electro-luminous (not Indiglo) backlight easy to read. Now I am looking forward to a CCR so I can really use all the features!

Are these problems attributed to the fact that you have the older, unrevised model of VR3? Or do you have the newer one, and still have these problems?

I recieved an email from Delta P, indicating that changes were made to the buttons so they would not fall out, the display and lighting has been improved, and the battery compartment and connection was also a problem as that it was wired in a certain way that would cause the unit to read "phantom dives" on its own, and now these problems have been supposedly fixed.

What do you guys know about this?

Hi

I looked at the VR3 but decided it was too expensive, although it was on my wish list.

I spoke to an instructor on a course over the weekend. He liked his and the only problem he had was that one of the 'triggers' fell off once while diving. It does seem a little convoluted in switching gasses, and I was happy that I had bought the Vytec which is simpler but obviously does not have the capabilities of the VR3

He also didn't like the deep 'Pyle' stops which are in the advanced algorithm although they are supposed to be benefitial. I suppose this would occur if your buddy was using a different computer or tables etc. and so you might need to bare this in mind.

These are his opinions not mine and he used it extensively for his diving.

Hope that helps

Like most VR3 funtions, they sem a little complex at first, but once youve sussed it they are easy and pretty logical.

You can preset up to 10 gas mixes in the unit and swap between them at will. If they are turned on the unit will also suggest when and what to switch to. You can change em on the fly will on the dive as well (great if you borrow someone else bail out)

If you are CCR and bail to OC, you can also tell it you have, and it recalcs all you deco etc for the new OC mix you are using

The deep stops are not quite pyle or VPM, but work well. I feel much better doing them. If you skip them it will recalculate for you. Personally I just warn my buddy he will be doing deep stops!!! :)

The newer dark gray versions seem to not be having the button problems, it was the silver early versions

If you are only doing dives to 160' and only on nitrox, why do you need such a hard core computer??

kind a like buying a hummer to take the kids to school??
looks cool but a pain in the ass to park!!

Back
Top Bottom