From White Sharks to Fringeheads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parabolic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
From great white sharks at Isla Guadalupe to the little critters under the Coast Guard Pier in Morro Bay. What a contrast in my last two dives! Friday was the highest tide I have ever seen in Morro Bay (6.5 ft – full moon). The water filled up all the wetlands canals and came right up to Los Osos Valley Road. There were probably 50 egrets and two or three blue herons taking advantage of all the water.

The water under the pier was VERY clean, I think the viz was about 15 feet. Also the warmest I think I have ever seen 57F. As for the critters, they were the usual suspects, 3 or 4 species of nudibranchs (nothing rare), several fringeheads, a shy little octopus, and a cluster of beautiful tube anemones in shallow water near the exit point that I should have spent more time with. All in all another great dive. Here are a few photos.

I didn't notice how pretty the shaft of this tube anemone was. I should have spent more time with them, but I know where they are and will get them next time:

tube_anemone.jpg

Clown nudibranch:

clown-1.jpg

Shy little octopus:

shy_little_octopus.jpg

There is a very small shrimp coming out of the mouth of this fringehead:

fringehead1-1.jpg

Good hair day:

fringehead2-3.jpg

Love the fringeheads. Thanks for sharing. But "warmest water you've ever seen -- 57 degrees" ??? You've got to be kidding this Florida warm water wussie! Personally, I'm looking forward to some 83 degree water in West Palm Beach this weekend! :)

Doug

Thank you Doug and caloy. I should have said the warmest water I have ever seen in Morro Bay :) I actually have dived a few times in warm water. ++Ken++

Nice shots Ken.

Great shots, Ken. love the Fringehead swallowing his lunch! I got a crab munching a shrimp last week, but the shot wasn't clean enough to show off. I was amazed at the high tide at breakwater last week as well. With no surf whatsoever, there was only a tiny sand bar sticking up between the stairs and the water. That was three days after the full moon. Really nice headshots on the clown and the octo as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom