9-29 Monterey Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
These are somewhat experimental. Maybe my last dive of the year (shoulder surgery at the end of the month) so I decided to play around. I've been having consistent trouble getting good focus and lighting on Super Macros, as the camera is so close to the subject that it blocks the light (usually within 2 inches). I've never really used the zoom underwater except to get rid of the vignetting on my 16mm WA lens. I took most of these from about a foot away, using the zoom and cranking up my settings from my usual 1/60 @ f5.6 to my close up setting of 1/200 @ f8. In some ways, I'm quite happy with the results, though I think I lost quite a bit of DOF with the zoom.

Octopus
P9290047-01sm.jpg

Male Kelp Greenling
P9290059-01sm.jpg

Sea Urchin
P9290061-01sm.jpg

Goby makes a shocking discovery
P9290071-01sm.jpg

Goby with a Star
P9290001-01cropsm.jpg

Sand Dab
P9290012-01sm.jpg

Snail
P9290014-01sm.jpg

Juvenile Rockfish
P9290019-01sm.jpg

Painted Greenling
P9290023-01sm.jpg

The snail and the last Greenling are crisp.

Heal up fast so we can continue to enjoy your photos :)

Wonderful collection of California marine life Larry. It's good to see a torpedo ray. Used to see them down here by the dozens, I have seen them by the hundreds at one spot at Anacapa in mating behavior. But I haven't seen one in years (until your picture). I think that is because they were discovered to make good "sea scallops", and their bodies started showing up in barrels on the docks. Hope your surgery goes well. ++Ken++

Sorry to hear that you need to have some surgery - Here's hoping for a quick recovery! Curious what the "wisps" are in the sanddab photo. See them quite a bit around in the "sandy-bits" (yes, that's a technical term) :)

Again, and as always, thanks for sharing your lovely photos.

Larry,

It's not often I view others' pictures, but I almost always look at yours; they're fantastic!

Best of luck on the shoulder surgery. I trust you waited to have the shoulder repair until the fall months to recuperate during our stormy season when you might be less likely to dive. That's the reasonining I'm using -- I have knee surgery later this month. If this procedure is anything like the one I had earlier last year, I'll be out of the water for 5-6 months. Yikes!

I hope you're back in action soon!

Jeff

Thanks Peter, Ken, Sarita, Nick, Jeff & Andy. Hopefully I might get one or two more dives in. My surgery is scheduled for the 30th.
Ken, I've only seen a few of the electric rays, mostly on the bottom like this one. A couple of weeks ago, however, I was able to shoot one midwater on my safety stop on the shale. Little one, like the one above. Unfortunately, the vis was crap, I was too far away and the picture was not one I'd show.
Sarita, I'm not sure what those things are. I'm used to seeing lots of sea pens and tube anemones in the sand, but I really don't know what these guys are. They kind of resemble one arm of a brittle star. I would bet that Ken can tell us. He's pretty good with all these little invertebrates. I've got to buy a copy of the Pacific Coast Invertebrates book, so I can look this stuff up.

Great shots as usual Larry. :)

Thanks Peter, Ken, Sarita, Nick, Jeff & Andy. Hopefully I might get one or two more dives in. My surgery is scheduled for the 30th.
Ken, I've only seen a few of the electric rays, mostly on the bottom like this one. A couple of weeks ago, however, I was able to shoot one midwater on my safety stop on the shale. Little one, like the one above. Unfortunately, the vis was crap, I was too far away and the picture was not one I'd show.
Sarita, I'm not sure what those things are. I'm used to seeing lots of sea pens and tube anemones in the sand, but I really don't know what these guys are. They kind of resemble one arm of a brittle star. I would bet that Ken can tell us. He's pretty good with all these little invertebrates. I've got to buy a copy of the Pacific Coast Invertebrates book, so I can look this stuff up.

Larry/Sarita the "wisps" are brittle star arms. ++Ken++

Back
Top Bottom